Stock aluminum dually wheels.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be a neat subject, almost added it to my "IDI pariphnalia" thread but decided to go fresh.

My 86 F350 dually didn't start life as a dually, it was modified by Centurion Lehman. But when I bought several years ago it came equiped with these rims(2 pictures of wheels without tires) and since ive had it I haven't seen any more like them. They're pretty rough, it would be cool to "restore" them if that's even a thing. I've had a couple old guys try to buy them from me but....... yeah right.

My 87 tow truck has these other wheels(the 2 pictures with tires) they say Alcoa on them and they're the more common wheels I see on Ford's and Chevys. They have a more "semi truck" look. Mine are in super duper shape, but not as cool as the others.

So whoopy doo, Im just curious to see what y'all have to say about stock IDI wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_20220901_074514.jpg
    IMG_20220901_074514.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220901_074523.jpg
    IMG_20220901_074523.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220901_152241.jpg
    IMG_20220901_152241.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220901_152250.jpg
    IMG_20220901_152250.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 9

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Alcoas were super popular on duallys, my dad's rv (2001 e450 bus body 7.3) has Alcoas on it. Otherwise they were plain Jane steelies.
Both mine and his crew cab have steel rims that have that little lip on them for the center hub cap option, but we both have the plastic hub caps.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had dealings with a couple of motorhomes, they've all had steel wheels. The Alcoas have the alignment pins, my older rims don't.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Can confirm, his has the alignment pins on them.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alcoa's have always been a favorite of mine. They make old trucks look classic IMO especially a dually. I would 100% spiff those bad boys up with a clean/buff.
The older rims have some wallowed out lug nut holes. Has anyone ever heard of over drilling and shimming lug nut holes?

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
The older rims have some wallowed out lug nut holes. Has anyone ever heard of over drilling and shimming lug nut holes?
There are wheel shops who do repair work on aluminum rims. I dont see why a skilled welding shop couldnt hog out the lug holes and weld in inserts to repair the rims.

I imagine a brake rotor or wheel hub (I dont recall how a dually is setup) with the studs pressed in could be used in conjunction with some bushing sleeves and a central bung could be used to ensure the sleeves are aligned good nuff.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has had the older style aluminum rims on it since I bought it. I was not aware of them being a factory stock rim. I thought the factory only sent these trucks out with the steelies. The center caps that came with my truck said "Aluma Dual", so I assumed they were aftermarket rims. I did have to bore out the centers slightly to accept the replacement caps I bought this winter, some 0.020" or so.

That said, I do think these are nicer looking rims than the smoother Alcoa's in your 3rd and 4th pictures

Original Caps
You must be registered for see images attach

New Caps
You must be registered for see images attach

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you @FrozenMerc they do look more correct and stylish then the others, especially on our bull nose trucks, My regular dually is going to be down for a while, I might add making the front rims nice to the "to do" list. The valve is miserable on the front wheels though, I wish they had thought that through a little better.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are wheel shops who do repair work on aluminum rims. I dont see why a skilled welding shop couldnt hog out the lug holes and weld in inserts to repair the rims.

I imagine a brake rotor or wheel hub (I dont recall how a dually is setup) with the studs pressed in could be used in conjunction with some bushing sleeves and a central bung could be used to ensure the sleeves are aligned good nuff.
I know there's a welder/metallurgical engineer/metalsmith on this forum somewhere that's got some good ideas about fixing these type of things somewhere......... maybe he's vacationing in NW Florida sometimes.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online