extra cooling.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when it's time to replace my pump I will likely go this route. Flow Kooler Hi Flow no idea if it's snake oil, but a better impeller can't hurt. I also bought the Mishimoto radiator, and got it for under $400. Ebay and amazon are worth watching. However I can't say if it did any good, I just didn't want to replace my old copper with aluminum and plastic. Haven't really given mine a workout that got the temps to climb since.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a lot of fresh air through the hood. evident by the water that comes through it when it rains all over lol
I have popped the hood after ive given it some juice, and it didn't feel very hot, not like one would expect of the engine compartment is blazing.
and it only gets hot on a steep incline for a few thousand feet worth in elevation.
maybe I should look into that clutch. I kinda like that.
guess well just see how a coolant system upgrade works with that new radiator.

ive also been thinking about moving the FMIC lower, or splitting the intercooler and running 2 on either side of my winch

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O'riley's Murray composite radiator(alu core/plastic tanks) has better heat transfer than the older CBR it replaced. the engine compartment is an oven now compared to it being uncomfortably warm in the past. '99 and up stupidduties run a composite and they do last for some time. I'm not expecting the ruggedness of a Rodney Red, but then again, I'm not complaining about what I'm getting for $261.

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Yeah, fender vents maybe. But it would be interesting to see if it made any noticable difference. Seems like we are always trying to cram more air in, but no way out.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, here is a heat stacking question......

On the 99+ SuperDuty trucks 7.3 and 6.0, have a similar stack as you three.....

My 6.0 has the transmission cooler (which is as big as the radiator in some vehicles), the A/C Condenser, the CAC (which is much larger than the CX Racing or Hypermax CAC for the IDI) and finally the engine coolant radiator is last/closest to the fan. I’ve not seen the complaints of the PSD’s shedding heat like the IDI’s with a very similar cooling stack.

I know the IDI puts a lot of heat into the coolant due to the prechambers in the head, where more heat is blown out through the exhaust on the PSD. But on the other hand, a stock 6.0 puts a ton of heat in the coolant from the EGR Cooler.

So, what is causing the difference? The radiators are similar in size, both have a mechanical fan and belt driven water pump. I don’t think the frontal exposure is much different between the years. Even if the exposure is a bit more on the SD’s the coolers in front of the radiator cover more of the radiator. Mike and Elijah are putting some heat in the coolant from the turbo, but I doubt that is enough to make a huge difference. The all have a coolant based oil cooler, so that should be a push.

Is the issue heat soak in the heads, putting so much heat in the coolant? The other thing I wonder, if I was able to easily switch out, for testing purposes, Mike or Elijah’s engine (engine/turbo combination) in place of my 6.0, and use the radiator, CAC, etc that’s in my truck, would it still have a cooling issue?

I’m not trying to start the IDI vs PSD debate. I’m just wanting to see if there’s something outside of the engine itself different in the truck/engine bay/cooling system that could make that much of a difference.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Do we know for sure the 4 core will transfer heat better? Sometimes more isn't better.

I too think you should take the heads off and unblock those passages. Its the only big difference between the cooling system on a 6.9 and the 7.3, and 6.9's run much cooler.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too think you should take the heads off and unblock those passages. Its the only big difference between the cooling system on a 6.9 and the 7.3, and 6.9's run much cooler.

this is one thing I did when I did the HG and studs was use them from a 6.9 and drill the holes in the block and head.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it be fan design? SD PSD have the plastic fans, rather than the metal of the IDI's. Is it possible that the reduced weight and drag helps with temps and the fan is more efficient when it does engage?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we know for sure the 4 core will transfer heat better? Sometimes more isn't better.

I think it seriously would. More surface area and aluminum is really thermally conductive.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think it seriously would. More surface area and aluminum is really thermally conductive.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Is it physically larger? The 4 cores could be smaller then the 3 cores he previously has. Someone ran into this once, where they bought a 4 core and it didn't cool as effective as the previous 3 core they had. Both were aluminum.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cough cough yall just need a bigger hood scoop.

if someone made and sold an electric clutch fan I would buy it.
Okay you don’t count because your stack is missing the IC and you could suck a small woodland creature or 3 through that hood scoop before you would ever notice anything but the burning hair smell.

The one thing that Scott touched on that is true is that I’m dumping heat from the turbo into the system too. Most guys with heating issues are not. It’s got to be something but who knows how much. I am however not dealing with a trans cooler.

I’ve been doing some reading on the 6.0 electric clutch. I think I know how to adapt it to the IDI but I can’t find the fan mounting dimensions. I also am not sure if the clutch cares which way it spins. Yes I know the threads are RH as opposed to LH but I think I can fix that. I just don’t know if there is a fundamental reason the clutch can’t run backwards.

FYI, there are DT 466 clutches out there with the right thread for the IDI and the correct fan mount but if you read the thread I linked earlier the length might be a problem. They are not cheap though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The biggest problem I've had with running around with the hood off is that the mechanical fan is a distraction. At least it was for me. It was cool to watch it spinning. Is watching your fan spin more distracting than texting and driving?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem I've had with running around with the hood off is that the mechanical fan is a distraction. At least it was for me. It was cool to watch it spinning. Is watching your fan spin more distracting than texting and driving?
only if you have your fidget spinner in one hand