extra cooling.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well this weekend proved that I was incorrect about the condition of the existing N/A engine in my 87.
thought to be a leaking headgasket, and while I do see signs of oil seepage at the rear of the passenger side head, shes holding together just fine after a oil change.
the slight loss of coolant I had was at a lame a$$ aluminum heater core nipple I installed.
will be pulling that back out. when I upgrade my cooling system.

I have a few things I need to do,
install a 4 core radiator
replace temp switch
replace sender
replace subpar nipple
replace t-stat FTFOI

on the 500 mile trip this weekend, I pushed it pretty hard while traveling on the 70 between quincy and orville
we set off on the adventure at about 1000, and it was pretty chilli out, but temps never got above 195
after I got off the windy river road, it got hot enough to turn the heater off.
temps instantly shot up to the 205 range.

which got me thinking...

since these brick noses have a inherent issue with cooling while inter cooled,
thinking of adding another small radiator somewhere in the front-ish.

anyone ever done something like this?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install a direct-drive fan hub and fan from a different application and things should cool down nicely; clutch fans are a joke.
A NEW 4-core would also be a big benefit; it will be clean and unrestricted inside.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a 4-core champion rad and I have to say for the price its pretty decently built. Welds all look better than what I was expecting and fit into its new home nicely. Ford windstar is a good fan to use. Also I've heard that a specific gen of ford Taurus fans were very good. Maybe look into a homemade shroud?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you can add a "push" style fan in front of the intercooler and everything else up front to work along with the stock fan. I've seen this done on jeeps to get more air flow when slowly crawling. It seemed like when set up correctly the push fan would get it past IC, condensor, etc... and the pull fan (stock fan or electric converted) would pull it the rest of the way through the rad/tranny cooler etc...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, it has a 3 row champion in it right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything below 240 is acceptable when going uphill or towing for these engines. Got original fan clutch in it?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Is it possible that there is some sort of heat stacking issue in the bricks? Maybe vents in the hood are in order.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine runs plenty cool, of course my IC is in a different location. I am just running a stock PSD rad also. the biggest difference is when I added oil to the fan clutch and im telling yall for something that cost nothing it makes the biggest improvement.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that there is some sort of heat stacking issue in the bricks? Maybe vents in the hood are in order.
got a functional hood scoop on her.

Anything below 240 is acceptable when going uphill or towing for these engines. Got original fan clutch in it?
you know I only use new parts lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:popcorn

Watching carefully. I too am seeing uncomfortably warm temps. I can see 240 pushing hard with the camper in tow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.