EPA Sheriff, Nosy Karens and my truck

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t live in an hoa but my neighbor about a house down probably wishes so. I always park on the side of my house, been doing that for 4 years no and I’ve never had an issue. Well when I first got the truck it wasn’t a big deal because it was stock and had stock exhaust. Now it’s a little different. The lady followed me to my work one morning, at 5:30 am to tell me that she’s going to call the police if I let it idle next to my house in the mornings or if drive past her house.

now I make sure that i shift right in front of her house and at a higher rate of speed… LOL
They probably do have noise laws, most places do. Most places also require a baffled exhaust system. We do all have to live together. You will eventually get tired of all that noise. We used to make our cars noisey to be cool and turn the girl's heads. Not sure if that is still the reason to have a noisey vehicle or not.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
They probably do have noise laws, most places do. Most places also require a baffled exhaust system. We do all have to live together. You will eventually get tired of all that noise. We used to make our cars noisey to be cool and turn the girl's heads. Not sure if that is still the reason to have a noisey vehicle or not.

Years ago the carbureted Dodge van I had blew out the muffler due to hard starting (flooded the muffler I guess, and it exploded) and wow that thing was awfully loud with no muffler. It also lacked power due to lack of backpressure. Some people say backpressure is a myth but it wasn't with that. I was able to city drive it to a muffler shop but it was loud as hell and lacked power. Thankfully I didn't get pulled over, but I had google nav set to the muffler shop and the last call I had on my phone was to the shop, so it was obvious where I was going and why I had no working muffler.

TexasTruck

Reaction score
my ignorance is hanging out.
what is a "Karen"
what is epa police

The definition of a "Karen" was pretty well covered above.

Normal sheriff just deals with misdemeanors/felonies. The EPA (Environmental Protection) sheriff is an officer with additional authority to process and execute nuisance abatements and environmental law violations ordered by the courts or state. A sheriff but with more authority to enter properties for inspections when it comes to environment or public health concerns.

He was called because we submitted plans for building permits but there was a vehicle on our property. I didn't call them, the state did when they did their drive by to inspect our property prior to building. That's what started this whole mess.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, but my truck is really not that loud. Her husband drives a 5.7 dodge 1500 and it’s much louder than mine.

TexasTruck

Reaction score
The kid across the street has an F150 with modified exhaust to sound "tough". It's a small gas engine that makes a lot of noise while not going anywhere particularly fast. Can barely hear it when he's gone more than a block away. He lets it idle to warm up like a diesel. It is fairly obnoxious but it's a kid and I get it.

Compared to modern trucks mine sounds like a sewing machine.

Jay Krout

Reaction score
I wondered myself about this "Karen" stuff. I known of a few of them. However I know of one lady actually named Karen who is probably one of the nicest folks you would ever have the chance to meet. Im sure this new thing they got goin about Karen drives her batty

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time I had a small block chev truck and ran open headers. Fun times idling thru the girl friends apt complex and setting off vehicle alarms. The first night was a bit of an accident. The following nights was fun to get closer to the parked cars and see how many would go off.

Noisey diesel? OH! Exhaust cut out. I understand. You don't like my truck now? You shore ain't gonna like it later. Idling too long? Mea culpa. I started it and went in to watch TV when a good movie started and I got involved watching it.

Any other complaints? Oh! It's ugly. Well this fender is red, the other is blue the rears are gold, 2 white doors and the roof is 4 colors or red white, blue and gold.
You are aware that the 4th national color is gold, correct?

The tail gate might get stenciled, "Dedicated to Karen"

Wanna play in my neighborhood?

Muh other truck would get painted flat black and each panel smacked with a baseball bat at least once.
Then pop the dents out leaving wrinkles behind.

I actually have no neighbors and only nasty looks when folks drive by. . .
They are gone in 3 seconds and nothing to say.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in rural west Texas where pumpjacks outnumber people, and Ive not heard of county laws regarding your situation. If its on my property its MINE! neighbor found out when his giant Chow dog killed a pet my disabled sons raised .....

The rancher I worked for years ago found trespassers on the ranch riding 4 X 4 trucks- told them to leave. They decided to out run him. They got stuck in a mudhole- Boss made them walk out, pulled the 4 X 4 out, drug it to the bull pasture and let the Brahmas do the body work... Sheriff came by asking for the truck. Boss pointed out the pasture gate and said" watch out for the bulls, they are about $55.000 each." They got the remnants of the 4x4 later after paying $100.00 to the ranch for land damages. Life is good in Gods country.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always park on the side of my house, been doing that for 4 years no and I’ve never had an issue. Well when I first got the truck it wasn’t a big deal because it was stock and had stock exhaust. Now it’s a little different. The lady followed me to my work one morning, at 5:30 am to tell me that she’s going to call the police if I let it idle next to my house in the mornings or if drive past her house.

Karens chasing you down for no good reason is a nuisance. Had one come running at me once driving the f100 down a narrow road packed with cars screeming something, so I took off to get away. Short while latter found this fool trying to chase me where see pullup beside me with more screeming, so told her to bent and gave the finger where I took off again. So ran some back roads to test ground that can be made, could had got on the highway and out ran her but not enough fuel. So plan B brake check her while pulling to right, where would power slide a donet to make u-turn. After some attempts, got some cars behind her where she got the hint and finnly past me. She tryed to get the cops involved but that went no where. She was trying to say I was going to fast and that her kids have some sort of right to play in the street, bull the street is where road kill lives.

Some people say backpressure is a myth but it wasn't with that. I was able to city drive it to a muffler shop but it was loud as hell and lacked power.

Its something about backpressure aids in scavenging in an untuned exhaust system by nullifying pulse wave I think. My f100 with a 390 has long tube header, h-pipe and dual dynomax turbo mufflers on 2.5in pipe. The collectors like to leak even with copper gaskets, I can get it to stop leaking but the pipe will shift and start again. I have not seen loss of power from that, so gave up fixing it and check every so often that the bolts are still tight.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's some truth to that, as it's not so much pressure, but velocity. You don't want backpressure in any exhaust system. But the engine requires the exhaust to leave out of some sort of pipe, and that it maintains velocity in the pipe to create a vacuum in the combustion chamber during valve overlap for scavenging. Running no pipe isn't good, running too big of a pipe isn't good, and any pressure in the pipe isn't good either.

More then likely blowing the muffler actually caused backpressure in the system, either by baffles blocking flow, or the exhaust gasses in the muffler becoming turbulent creating the back pressure. And that backpressure was the cause of the loss of power.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
There's some truth to that, as it's not so much pressure, but velocity. You don't want backpressure in any exhaust system. But the engine requires the exhaust to leave out of some sort of pipe, and that it maintains velocity in the pipe to create a vacuum in the combustion chamber during valve overlap for scavenging. Running no pipe isn't good, running too big of a pipe isn't good, and any pressure in the pipe isn't good either.

More then likely blowing the muffler actually caused backpressure in the system, either by baffles blocking flow, or the exhaust gasses in the muffler becoming turbulent creating the back pressure. And that backpressure was the cause of the loss of power.

Yes, exhaust piping size is important. My son just picked up an 01 24 valve Cummins Dodge, and the PO, put in a “stack”. The “stack” is a 55 gallon drum with a 4” or so pipe sticking about 3 or 4 inches into the drum. The top is cut out of the drum, and this truck will smoke like a freight train if you get on it. Instead of an nice colum of smoke, it looks like a trash fire, because the smoke just waffs out instead of coming out with an velocity. You can tell the performance hit. My son is going to remove the “stack” and put an axle dump with a proper size pipe……. It wil still smoke, but at least it will “blow” the smoke out/away instead of just lazyly drifting away.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My son just picked up an 01 24 valve Cummins Dodge, and the PO, put in a “stack”. The “stack” is a 55 gallon drum with a 4” or so pipe sticking about 3 or 4 inches into the drum. The top is cut out of the drum, and this truck will smoke like a freight train if you get on it.
That HAS to look horrible. Once again I have to wonder what type of chemicals that the installer was on while doing the installation. Or even dreaming this one up for that matter.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That HAS to look horrible. Once again I have to wonder what type of chemicals that the installer was on while doing the installation. Or even dreaming this one up for that matter.
Yes it looks horrible..... he saw the novelty in it for about a week... then he started planning the fix.....

Just to give you and idea of how it is "secured", the installer cut and "X" in the pipe, set the hole cut in the bottom of the barrel over the pipe, and then took and beat the 4 flaps the X created down against the bottom of the barrel......

I'll have him send a picture or 3 of it.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online