Electric Fans

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has them, and what difference in performance is there?

I' more interested in MPGs than power and am wondering if a mod like this will pay off in fuel savings. Is this worth the trouble?

I looked through the tech articles on this and maybe some one can post some updates?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have at least six inches between the radiator and foremost point of the engine, then you can use the MK-VIII Lincoln fan, which is supposed to out-perform ALL of the aftermarket fans out there, and available at your local junk-yard.

Alas, with the LONG Cummins crowding the radiator, and only 3-inches between the engine and radiator, I am unable to make it fit.

My reason for wanting the electric is the ability of moving vast amounts of air across the condensor when sitting still or moving at low speeds; the electric runs at full blast, regardless of engine RPM.:thumbsup:

discbrks

Reaction score
What about using 2 small elec. fans in front of the condenser? Like 2 10" or 12" fans... one on either side of the hood latch support.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had no trouble with the conversion, but unfortunately I'm not a good barometer of problems. Most things just work for me anyway. It's the Force you know. LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite possibly. :D

The right way
The wrong way
The railway.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The conversion looks pretty easy, but what about any gains? What power/MPG improvements did you observe?

Thinking I might only need a single 4500 CFM fan from a Tbird or lincoln (assuming I can fine one).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get asked that question a lot, but unfortunately I'll never be able to answer it. With my performance mods, it's impossible to tell.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what cfm the stock mechanical fan moves?

You might be able to find the numbers for a brand-new perfectly operating engine/truck; but, there are so many variables with a clutch-controlled engine-driven fan, that it would be near impossible to make a close guess.

The mechanical fan, providing the clutch is up to par, changes speed with engine RPM, so fan CFM changes constantly.

You may have an excellent design of blades that have the capability of pulling tons of air at a given engine-RPM, but the limitations of engine-speed and clutch quality not allow it to do it's job.

On several of my trucks, I took the clutch out of the equation by "pinning" it solid, as in the fan is now "direct-drive"; this helped a bunch with the A/C at low engine speeds, but still is not as much air-flow as I would like to have at idle RPMs. (By the way, I have not noticed any loss of power or mileage by doing so)

As much as I prefer mechanical components over electrical, I believe that a big electric fan is a better choice for our applications, so far as air movement is concerned; reason being, as I stated in another post, the electric fan turns "wide open" at all times, with engine RPM having no bearing on fan speed.

Thus, when one is sitting still, either stuck in traffic or waiting in a long line, the A/C condensor will have full fan volume.:thumbsup:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm tempted to try out one of those Lincoln fans...for $80, if it gets me 2 more mpg, that'd be worth it I think.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what's my rotten luck coming from?? I was a Ferroequinologist long before I ever started working for the railroad!!! :dunno

Just don't start texting teens, and maybe it will change. ;Really