EARLY BANKS TURBO

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well saterday my uncle and i are going to pickup a 88 f-350 7.3 4x4 zf5 banks turbo.we are going to use his 90 f-350 7.3 with his 5th wheel trailer.he said i can pull the turbo off the 88 for my 92;Sweet , hes just going to put a plow on the 88.
any way is there anything special to look for on the early kits?
we are both diesel mech. by trade so the basics we know,just wanted to ask from someone who has installed or had trouble with one of these kits
oh yeah how about prayer to the IDI gods :hail for a safe trip and no break down trip.the truck is a good 3 hour drive one way.its located by amsterdam.
hes been having some overheating problems with his 90,(200,000+ on the clock)but if we dont push it well be okay :D

maybe i could convince my boss i should break the new f-350 6.0 liter in by taking it on the trip instead of the 90 IDI :D (flame suit is on -Flame Thr :D )

Last edited:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well got the truck home and removed the square box and hose to check the turbo,it seems good.
needs to be cleaned up,the gauges dont work and the y-pipe is shot,but other than that he said i can have it ;Sweet ;Sweet
does anyone now how much banks gets for a new y-pipe,the down pipe is good
how much boost does the old style turbo put out for boost?

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
$360 for the newer design...up-pipe on pass side. They don't make the older style with the up-pipe on drivers side anymore. Ref this thread. I would check with an exhaust shop and see if they can repair/fabricate a new one cheaper than banks.

And it the turbo says rotomaster they can't service it either...maybe a turbo shop but not banks. Only the ones with banks casted into the housing can be rebuilt to the tune of $550.

The old banks turbos can push 10psi pretty easy...and up to 15 at times especially with propane. -Flame Thr Mine hits 10psi going up a small grade empty. Can't wait to see what I get pulling the trailer.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
mine has BANKS stamped into the housing
the turbo feels good,not much endplay or side to side.
i guess the y-pipe thats on there has been cobbed up,it looks like somone used the factory ford N/A y-pipe and modified it cookoo .its all bent and hitting the pan. :puke:
has anyone tried to use a hypermax or ats pipes on a banks?if so are they any cheaper,would they work if modified?

Last edited: