Early Banks filter box alternative?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Back when I was trying to build an early Banks kit for my truck, I had bought all the parts, only to learn that the pedistal is transmission specific, so I sold my kit.
Originally I had gotten an air filter from Jegs.
Apparently they don't sell it anymore, but hopefully the part number helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
1999-03 with a 6.9L? I know that it's hard to tell from a picture, but that filter looks awfully tall.

Thomas87

Reaction score
Thanks, but finding the replacement filter isn't the problem. I have already gotten one. It's the difficulty of opening and closing the box to just check the filter, and removing and reinstalling the whole box to do pretty much any amount of work or tinkering on top of the motor gets old pretty quick.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Every turbo setup will have its own complications one way or another. My 093 ats setup, I have to remove the air filter housing to access pretty much anything on the drivers side of the engine.
I guess it's a pick and choose your battles, or reinvent the wheel that is your intake ducting.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The banks box is a POS, scrap it. The filter is crap, and you can't work on your engine.

I took an ATS intake hat for turbo outlet to intake mani, I reused the banks turbo inlet rubber boot 90, and shoved a 4inch steel pipe in it. Tight fit, might have boiled it. You can get a silicone 90 with any size, if you want to run 3 inch for example

I drilled a hole on the side of said 4in pipe for the cdr with a good fat rubber washer to contour, and welded a leg to the intake pipe to support it, mounting to intake mani, and hung a cone filter on until I got a 6637 and a pre-filter bag on it. I went from maybe 2psi ******* boost and sucking dirt on a k&n filter to 6-7 psi and much faster response, with a better filter.

Now some guys sell intake hats so it's even easier wouldn't be hard to intercool now too...

Murphy21

Reaction score
im looking for a manual pedestal and y pipe for a first gen banks kit for 6.9, im willing to buy or trade someone for my auto ones, bought the kit for super cheap but ofcouse i have a manual in my truck im trying to put it on

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
im looking for a manual pedestal and y pipe for a first gen banks kit for 6.9, im willing to buy or trade someone for my auto ones, bought the kit for super cheap but ofcouse i have a manual in my truck im trying to put it on
The auto pedestal will not work on a zf.
Spamming old threads to try to find one isn't going to help.
Its an old turbo setup that was obsolited years ago. I'd suggest selling it and getting one for a manual, or get an ATS kit, since they are universal between auto/manual.

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
you could try reaching out to banks performance - i doubt they will sell you one, but if you can get them to give you a print you could prob get a machine shop to fab one. Depending on how committed you are to this kit, you might be able to find a fabricator who will make you one from scratch with a pic to work from so they can see what its supposed to look like.

Also, not sure but this might be what your looking for?

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The auto pedestal will not work on a zf.
Spamming old threads to try to find one isn't going to help.
Its an old turbo setup that was obsolited years ago. I'd suggest selling it and getting one for a manual, or get an ATS kit, since they are universal between auto/manual.
Another less common option would be a Hypermax kit. The driver’s side up pipe does differ between auto and manual, but Hypermax still has full support for their kits, a new up pipe is readily available, just as all parts for their stuff are.

If the opportunity presents itself to you, to purchase a Hypermax kit, whether that would be used or new, I would highly recommend it. I love mine.

I have one friend who used to have an IDI with a Hypermax kit, he also liked it. His truck did not seem to run quite as strong, but his engine was very high mileage, roughly 400k or so… lots of blow by.

I have outrun and outpulled a few ATS equipped trucks, they do seem to get me on steep hills, but only because my EGT’s get too high. If I don’t back out of it, or if I am not pulling a trailer, then I can usually stay ahead with little strain. However, my 86 turbo truck is very light, just over 6500 pounds…

It also seems to hold its own against stock 6.0 PSD trucks, which I found to be a little surprising. They do have me off the line though.

I have no trouble keeping ahead of any of my friends with 7.3 PSD trucks either

The most boost I have ever hit with my Hypermax truck is 16 psi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online