e40d swap

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my transmission was shot so I got one that had been recently rebuilt, and I'm gonna swap them, and need to know if there is anything important I need to know about the job, and what kind of adjustments do I need to know about?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the most important things to do,is when disconnecting the solenoid pack connector to;

DON'T!: pry the connector with a screw driver.instead,press inwards on the clip from the bottom,while wiggling upwards to unplug.

DO: wrap the plug with a plastic baggy and wire tie.insuring you keep the connector clean during removal and installation of the trans.

there couldn't be a better time to install a shift kit and mod the pump.for example;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...go-s-E40D-HD2-D-reprogramming-kit-(shift-kit)

tip; there's no harm in taking the trans w/ instructions to your local trans shop to at least let them handle the pump removal,mods and re-install for you.
it totally transforms how the trans works from oem.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 'new' trans came with the main connector on the drivers side, shuld I use that one or swap mine in?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connector on the drivers side that is on the shift lever is (MLPS) Manual Position Lever Sensor. The one FORDF250HDXLT mentioned is on the pass side, it connects to the solenoid pack.
There is a mark on the MLPS to line up when the shift lever is in Neutral after install.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to wash them out with electrical cleaner or would that cause any I'll effects?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please do clean the electrical plugs with contact cleaner thats harmless to plastic. Make sure you actually READ THIS on the can before using it. Then grease the plug connections with the grease for electrical connections. I took my truck to 3 different dealers who ripped me off for a new computer. A TPS switch and a new trans. Turns out I had a bad connection in one of the plugs to the trans. I had the recites and sent a complaint to Ford but they fixed me but good. They told me had I kept going to the SAME dealer they would have helped me out. But because I kept trying another dealer I would not be reimbursed for anything... That was about 14 years ago and I have not used a dealer since. You tell me who won that deal. My repair job came to me from another ford site and the cost was less than 5 bucks.
Be sure to have the torque converter correctly set in the front of the trans. When its set correctly it will be set behind the bellhousing edge.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Lower part of the dipstick (stub that goes INTO the tranny) on the old tranny is smaller than on the new tranny,is that a problem?
Where would I find the different size tube?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh? that's bizarre.pics? your removing the '91 trans and installing what year trans?
how's things going for ya by the way? the old one come out ok for ya?

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old wood was nothing but a fight to get out.
But the hole in the new transmission is bigger than the old transmission, sposed to be from a 1991 also.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old tranny was nothing but a fight to get out.
My transmission has a 2 piece dipstick tube, the lower tube is a tight fit into the transmission body, the upper tube has an o-ring to seal to the lower tube, the hole for the lower dipstick tube in the new transmission is of a wider diameter, why would that be? Where would I find a larger diameter tube? And would it couple up with the upper tube?
Or do I need a whole new dipstick and tube?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have no clue.i was unaware of any chances between dipstick tube opening sizes from '89 all the way up through the 4r100 i thought were all the same.interesting.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/16-anything-else/211491-e4od-dipstick-tubes.html

last post:
"While surfing JBG I came across their E4OD dipstick and tube for a small block truck. The item had a notation of; "Must use a 47/64 drill bit to enlarge small hole case."

So, evidently there is a small and a large tube version of the E4OD."

anyone know what JBG is?

edit; bronco graveyard

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/E4OD-Transmission-One-Piece-Dipstick-and-Tube/productinfo/31195/

........hmm are you sure you sourced the diesel version of the e40d,turbo elk?

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you FORDF250HDXLT, it sound like I'm gonna make a trip to the wrecking yard today or tomorrow.
I'm kinda glad this came up because my old dipstick was the short one and I was planning on adapting a van dipstick and tube into the truck because checking the fluid has always been a pain.
THANKS AGAIN.