e40d swap

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to order the tube from the Bronco graveyard and it says its for small block only, does anyone think that will be a problem?

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
turbo elk,

Just read this, it might be stating the obvious but I ran into this question.
Is it a DIESEL case? Pretty easy to check,

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?69057-1998-E4OD-on-the-outside-wait-a-minute!

Go to entry #14.

E4OD were used in many passenger cars, and the cases are definitely different, as are the internals. In
fact my Diesel case had passenger car internals when it was sold to me, and that trans was set up by
a local shop!

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
George

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the new trans mounted to engine?

If not may want to trace bellhousing pattern on cardboard a d see if it will mount.

If yer dipstick hole is smaller this sounds like a sb case not diesel.

Is there not a rubber grommet to fit in hole to insert tube into???

Pics if you can please showing old vs new???

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Is the new trans mounted to engine?

If not may want to trace bellhousing pattern on cardboard a d see if it will mount.

If yer dipstick hole is smaller this sounds like a sb case not diesel.

Is there not a rubber grommet to fit in hole to insert tube into???

Pics if you can please showing old vs new???

Small block case or 89 case.

There is no grommet for the tube going into the case. This is a press fit with a funky tool.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old transmission tube has metal to metal interference fit, the new transmission has a bigger hole.
If I was to use the tube from a 4 r100 SD transmission what year would I be looking at?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We still do not know whether you have the small-block or diesel transmission case. You might want to confirm your trans will physically bolt up to your engine.

Or could be I missed it LOL LOL

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission bolted up fine, but shuld the transfer case be sealed to the tranny with silicone or a gasket? Hopefully I test drive it today.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did end up using gray rtv on the transmission to transfer case.... and like allways all projects on any ford I work on I end up needing other parts... like exhaust stud, the plastic pice the (clips) holds the shifter linkage on the transfer case, and the right pan gasket and filter. (Being the smart guy I am I thought I would get a new filter and pan gasket....parts guy gave me the wrong one) :)
Now I'm waiting on the cable / Internet guy. :) :)

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how to test for torque converter lockup? because the transmission I've got in doesn't seem like the torque converter is locking up.
thank you

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should feel it lock at around 35 mph in 3rd gear.
so drive down the road in od at around 50mph to insure it should be locked.remain on the fuel lightly and with your left foot,lightly press on the brake pedal.this will disengage the converter and the rpms will go up,then down again when you let off the brake.

i dunno if this works on your truck or not,but with the 92-94 idi/e40d trucks,you can turn the hazards on and it unlock the converter too.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you FORDF250HDXLT, I will try that this tranny doesn't feel like it locks up like my old one.