E40d nightmare

poolboy

Reaction score
The truck is a 93 7.3 2wd non-turbo with the E40D and im having erratic shift issues. I have done everything recommended in all of the forums, and still chasing this problem. The trans its self has about 15,000 miles on it. I have replaced MLPS with updated sensor and connector, did the repair harness on the solenoid side, removed/cleaned/cont tested trans harness, replaced TCM with known good matching unit, sent PSOM off to be checked and repaired (one leaky capacitor), new VSS and checked tone ring for any damage all is good. Also 1 parts store FIPL, I have a Motocraft unit on the way. Adjusted to 1.2v-4.05v. No deadspots, but I'm going to replace with OEM anyhow.

It will shift fine sometimes for 5 mins, sometimes for 30 mins, then it will hold 1st to 3500 and slam into OD . Code for SS2 circut keeps coming up. I have verified all the way to the pcm that the line is intact, no shorts.

What am I missing? I'm going to drop the pan today and visuaslly inspect solenoid pack and remove and clean the connector agian. Any input would be greatly appreciated, Im going crazy trying to figure this out.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several grounds that ought to be taken apart and cleaned regardless how good they look. I did all of mine but didn't stop to check the results after each ground refreshing so I don't know which one did the trick but the left battery, right side near heater, inside cab passenger foot (by door) - under the truck, passenger side frame to body are all good to take apart, dremel with a wire wheel, and reassemble.
Also - check for AC ripple from the alternator - engine running 1,500 rpm measure with multimeter set on AC (anywhere) any reading over .5 volts the alternator should be replaced.

poolboy

Reaction score
There are several grounds that ought to be taken apart and cleaned regardless how good they look. I did all of mine but didn't stop to check the results after each ground refreshing so I don't know which one did the trick but the left battery, right side near heater, inside cab passenger foot (by door) - under the truck, passenger side frame to body are all good to take apart, dremel with a wire wheel, and reassemble.
Also - check for AC ripple from the alternator - engine running 1,500 rpm measure with multimeter set on AC (anywhere) any reading over .5 volts the alternator should be replaced.
Thank you for the reply, I’ll get on this tomorrow morning and report back.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It could be on its way out. That would make it intermittent. Check for fluid in the connector. If its wet, the pack is done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online