Manual swap

MattyP

Reaction score
I currently have a 91 f250 with a 7.3 and e4od and I'm getting a 93 f350 with a manual transmission. Will everything swap over as far as pedals and column? I'm trying to figure out what to pull from the 350 and what I need to get separate other than drive shaft.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a manual swap on my 89. Your 91 is like my 89, not sure if the pedals will swap. I know 1986-dwn will not swap.

I used a 89 donor. The driveshaft was different. I could have used my auto driveshaft, but the 5 speed shaft was thicker and had larger u-joints. I had to swap the yoke on the rearend so the u-joint would fit.

I had to get the upper shirt crossmember pieces for the rear crossmember. The zf set back 1 inch longer than the c6 auto I had and the upper crossmember pieces are offset more.

I got the harness for the transfer case and 5 speed transmission. It plugs into the plug under the brake booster. I unplugged the automatic harness, and plugged in the 5 speed harness, not wiring required, everything worked. If you do not have this, the first thing that will happen after the swap, the truck will not crank. That is because there was a neutral safety switch in the auto harness. You have to jump these wires if you do not have the proper 5 speed harness, which has a jumper made into it.

I had to take a piece of wire, and tie up the lever down near the steering box for the auto shifter. If you don't, the lever will fall down and the old auto column will think you are in gear, and not let you turn the keyswitch all the way to off. Tying it up will let it think it's in park all the time.

Make sure you get the transmission cover for the 5 speed. It's higher for clearance. It's best to take the seat completely out to give you working room and room to pull the floor mat all the way back out of the way. Gives you lots of room to lay there and swap the pedals also. Swapping the pedals was aggravating, they ran the speedo cable right through the middle of the pedals. So you have to pull the cluster, disconnect the speedo cable to get the pedals out. The 93 might have a electronic speedo and you might not have this problem on it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to get the frontend also? If possible, I would try and at least get the front driveshaft and the front transfer case yoke. The front driveshaft has the double cardan joint in it. My f250 had a lift on it when I bought it, and it always had a bad vibration when in 4x4. I put the front transfer case yoke and the front driveshaft from a f350 in it and it is so smooth in 4x4 you forget you have the hubs locked in.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are planning to swap the entire pedal box you will need 87-91. I have never actually measured them to know for sure but it may be possible to swap the aero pedals into the brick box.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your 91 is like my 89, not sure if the pedals will swap.

If you are planning to swap the entire pedal box you will need 87-91.
U agree with these. The column itself will swap, but you'll run into issues. The column mounting bracket from the '93 may not work. If not, all you'll probably have to do is to swap the mounting bracket from the '91 onto the '93 column. The biggest issue that you'll run into will be the wiring. In '92, Ford switched to a multi function switch. It controls your turn signals, dimmer switch, and your windshield wipers (if it's like the later 90's ones are).
As for what else to pull from the '93, why not just see what needs to be done as you're going? That will be the easiest way. You can also decide to pull something that wasn't mentioned or decide to not pull something that was mentioned.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not swap the column, I would keep your old auto column. I have no problems with using my old auto column. I took the lever off of it. And put a piece of black tape over the PRND2L indicator. As long as it's tied up it works fine. You can find a older column later if you wanted, but I would not mess with those wiring issues.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO the 92 column is totally different. The 80-86 can be swapped in place of the 87-91 by changing the bracket. 92 up went to the big square plastic covered column which I believe will interchange up to 02 or 03.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO the 92 column is totally different. The 80-86 can be swapped in place of the 87-91 by changing the bracket. 92 up went to the big square plastic covered column which I believe will interchange up to 02 or 03.

James
I guess I was wrong. I thought that the plastic was just on the outside of the dash. I do know about the earlier ones. I have a brick steering wheel in my Blue Truck and also had one in my Bronco. I know that I'm an oddball on here, but I like the looks of the brick steering wheels better than the bull ones so I didn't mind swapping them out. I am going to leave the original steering column in the Red Truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online