Tachometer

whbunch

Reaction score
1992 7.3 f-350 diesel 4x4 E40d transmission. Truck sat up untouched for 15 years. Got truck running and transmission rebuilt. Having trouble getting brake pedal to return so have been working on it at home. Took two 160 mile trips each and ran fine but had the brake issue. Now the tachometer quit and transmission is not shifting into gear. Replaced the tachometer sensor but still no tach. I need help please!!
With take and brake pedal.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having trouble getting brake pedal to return
That probably did not allow the torque convertor clutch to lock up and you heated up the fluid in the unit as a result...then the temp sensor in the trans told the TCM that the fluid was too hot and it went to a fail-safe mode to try to save itself.
Check the fluid level and condition and fix the brake pedal return problem and then try out the truck again....you might want to disconnect the batteries temporarily to wipe the short term memory first...but fix the brake pedal position before you drive it any more...

Wish you luck on it...

Oh, yeah....sat for a decade-and-a-half....you should probably flush out your brake fluid...all of it...and replace your MC, brake cylinders, and calipers, and flexible brake hoses for good measure...

I did that on mine...and it had only sat about two years...works good now...mostly...

whbunch

Reaction score
Have unhooked batteries for about an hour.

Have replaced all rubber brake lines, calipers and one wheel cylinder changed fluid and on second master cylinder and second booster and replaced vacuum lines and pump.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the no return brake pedal a couple of times. Ended up being the booster was bad. No amount of wd40 would fix it, had to replace it. Yours must be really sticking since you noticed it? The times I have seen it happen, it wasn't very noticeable, but the brakes kept dragging. But if you would pull the pedal up just a inch or so with your foot, the brakes would not drag.

whbunch

Reaction score
yes I have to pull the pedal up to release the brakes. This is the second booster I have tried surely they are not both bad. I have even replaced the valve on the side of the master cylinder and the anti lock brake valve

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use a new or rebuilt booster? The originals do not have a very good track record. Most trucks by now have reman boosters on them.

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
Replaced the tachometer sensor but still no tach. I need help please!!
With take and brake pedal.
Mine was bugging so i replaced the sensor... still had issues until i figured out that a hard slap on the dash over the cluster usually got it working right.

Took out the cluster, cleaned all the contacts with alcohol & Qtips, problem solved.