dually tires

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the 76 truck my buddy is parting out has brand new tires on it, figured I would put them on the dually, well they are 245/75/16 not 235/85 like I thought.
Will they bee too close and rub each other?? I dont want to spend the dough just have it not work, we dont have any nice tire guys that will try for even a deal. I get it, guess the good old days are gone.
thanks
Russ

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
russ-
the tire market is so cutthroat that it doesn't make sense to be in the business. with a 6% markup over cost, there's many other things i'd rather sell. tires are nothing other than a loss leader for me. it just keeps them coming through the door.
245's will rub. 235 is the max you wan to go to.
call me if you want my tire wholesale account so you can see the **** for yourself.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess ill just run out the 215's that are on there. They are good just wanted them on the trailer, shorter. Or so I thought, after checking charts they are pretty close in height.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rus have you thought about the spacers members have talked about running on the rear duallys to keep them from rubbing. I'm not a fan of it but thats me.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not with 7600 lbs on the rear axle.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not with 7600 lbs on the rear axle.

i used to work for a company that built water towers, and all the one ton trucks they had in there fleet had spacers for the dually wheels, trucks were driven back and forth to every jobsite which most the time was on fresh cut roads. kept larger rocks from cutting the inside sidewalls of the tires, and also helped from rocks from getting stuck between tires. all those trucks were also equipped with aftermarket beds and also pulling trailers carrying anything from small equipment to site supplies. i didnt think much of the spacers either til i worked there.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm Ill give it some thought, 7600 is with the camper on the utility boxed 4x4 ,with buggy trailer and 2 55 gallon drums of fuel on the trailer .so the dually should be lighter. also have lift bars fo rthe trailer ive never used.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know i always sound like a broken record in these oversize dually threads,but you really don't want wider tires.it makes worse,all the con's the drw's have over srw with a greater rolling resistance.even worst fuel economy,as if the hit wasn't already large enough with two skinny 215's and a decrease in traction further,also already sucks compared to srw.so even if you buy a spacer,the decrease in traction and rolling resistance,isn't even worth running free wider tires.of course this all depends on how much and where one drives too.for a rarely driven dually truck,down the interstate a few times a year,who cares i guess.for a dd work truck/occasionally used off road,it matters greatly.so all things relative.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt want wider, wanted taller which a 235/85 is over a 215. The utility box was a SRW pickup not a cab and chassis.

I do have 4 toyo tractions I may try on it, but will likely wait till a test run with the 215's and gear swap. this thing with the 460, c6 and gear vendors still turns almost 3k at 55

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ how was the fuel mileage running the higher pop pressure injecters to SF n back to oregon. I recall you posting about checking the fuel mileage...:dunno

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I am running 245 on the rear of mine. i have half an inch of clearance between them not loaded. i have had 8400 lbs on the trailer behide me, truck loaded with gear, and no rub. but i will be putting 1/4 spacers in there next time i pull them off.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ how was the fuel mileage running the higher pop pressure injecters to SF n back to oregon. I recall you posting about checking the fuel mileage...:dunno

I never got them installed, work got in the way, but we made it home on one fill. I pack right at 50 gallons, truck weighed 10800 when we left Calvins shop. 667miles and both tanks were not in the red yet. And I was solidly doing 70 wherever I could.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online