Another tire size question...

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woohoo!!!

I was dreading spending well over a grand on new tires ($900 if I stayed with stock size).
I just happened to pull up Craigslist and there, on the front page, was 4 General Grabber AT3 in 285/75R16.
He put them on his Dodge 400-500 miles ago and his frame just cracked.
I'm picking them up on Sunday. $400 for the set (wheels included). I can even probably sell the wheels and get a few buck$ to make up for driving an hour each way to get them.
Sometimes ya get lucky. ;-)

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I felt the price punch on 285's also. I ended up with 265's instead. Okay for a 2wd i figure.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO! Find different tires! Those ones will give you secondhand electrical problems! Beware LOL :joker: :rotflmao

And that’s coming from someone who used to be a Dodge guy… and will always kinda like them… was around them too long! The effects probably won’t wear off completely… it makes me all too likely to take a certain diesel engine from a Dodge and put it into a Ford… cuz the Dodge got in my head and screwed me up!

LOOK OUT GUYS!!!

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Wish with my '90 F350 CCLB dually I could run bigger/taller tires than the 235/85x16 tires I have on it now. However when I go bigger they get wider & even with 1/2" wheel spacer tires too wide & rub nearly.
I have source for good bigger tires but can't run them with my dual wheels.
Wish I had time & could find longer wheel studs then I might hunt thicker wheel spacers.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woohoo!!!

I was dreading spending well over a grand on new tires ($900 if I stayed with stock size).
I just happened to pull up Craigslist and there, on the front page, was 4 General Grabber AT3 in 285/75R16.
He put them on his Dodge 400-500 miles ago and his frame just cracked.
I'm picking them up on Sunday. $400 for the set (wheels included). I can even probably sell the wheels and get a few buck$ to make up for driving an hour each way to get them.
Sometimes ya get lucky. ;-)
I got these mounted yesterday. They fit. Almost. They rub the running boards slightly when backing up and turning.
And I don't care for the look of them vs the stock size. But they'll be better for traction and less RPMs (or higher top speed).
I should probably take those running boards off anyway. They're rock magnets and dirt traps. Maybe I'll replace them with loop steps.