Doomsday Dually Project

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
There's shims for the pulleys too. Yeah that pulley looks like it's on backwards

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Primed the oil with this transfer pump I picked up from Hebrew freight. It said it was rated for ‘light oils’. I don’t think they meant 15W-40 but it did fine except for blowing a 25 amp fuse

Took 10 quarts till I got oil out of every pushrod and turbo line. I injected it at that 1/2” pipe thread port on the oil cooler that is before the oil filter.

Turned it over by hand while priming to make sure I zero out all the lifters as well

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The only issues that I can see here is that you're going to have one BEAR of a time getting that engine back in with that PSD oil filter on it. Not to mention not denting it. If you pull it off, then you'll have oil dripping down from the oil cooler where the filter mounts.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issues that I can see here is that you're going to have one BEAR of a time getting that engine back in with that PSD oil filter on it. Not to mention not denting it. If you pull it off, then you'll have oil dripping down from the oil cooler where the filter mounts.
I was wondering about that, I remember taking it off to get it out. But in this case my transmission is out of the truck. I wonder if that helps me getting it back in with the oil filter on the engine.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about that, I remember taking it off to get it out. But in this case my transmission is out of the truck. I wonder if that helps me getting it back in with the oil filter on the engine.
I think the problem will be getting the engine below the cowl before hitting the filter on K member. The powerstroke filter just barely clears the K member anyway.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think the problem will be getting the engine below the cowl before hitting the filter on K member. The powerstroke filter just barely clears the K member anyway.

James
Yep. This is the problem. Transmission and front clip probably won't make much of a difference.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. This is the problem. Transmission and front clip probably won't make much of a difference.

Good deal, I’ll take it off before I drop it in. That’s why I come here anyway, you guys have done this before so you can save me some headaches.

Looks like my motor isn’t going in tomorrow anyway. I’m just finding out now the new injector lines I got off Amazon don’t work. The fittings are different.

I’ll prob have to find a good used/OE set.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One thing that does help is to buy a cheap sacrificial oil filter and install it before you try to put the engine in. That way you already aren't planning to use it, Don't fil it with oil, don't even bother to lubricate the gasket if you don't want to, and DO be sure to buy one for a IDI so that it's shorter. At least, that way, after the engine's in, all you have to do is remove it, install the filter you want to use, and top off the missing oil.
Next time, just be sure to have the engine bolted into the truck and to the transmission before you pre-pressurize the oil system. It will be a little more difficult to do, but you'll save one heck of a mess and the frustration of not being able to install your engine with the now damaged oil filter on it.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time, just be sure to have the engine bolted into the truck and to the transmission before you pre-pressurize the oil system.

the motor mount seemed super close to that oil cooler port though, wasn’t sure if I’d be able to plumb into it in frame.

I’ll just hit the starter with the GPs out and FSS disconnected and make sure I get oil pressure before I fire it up at this point. Got a mechanical auto meter oil pressure gauge I just mounted to the dash and I’ll tee into it at the block with the turbo oil feed line.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word of advice fellas if you’re going to use R&D fuel rails.

Don’t even think about installing them with the injectors already in the head. Seat the injectors into the rails and secure them in there with an expired nut and a washer. Grease the orings with some silicon grease. Then insert the entire assembly into the head and slowly turn each injector one at a time till they’re fully torqued.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a 1” crows foot wrench for this. And install these rails only once you’ve entirely buttoned up the valve covers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel