Did A Comprerssion Test today

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Boy-o-boy was that easy to do without all the injector lines and wiring in the way.... All the tests showed 520 or 530 lbs. Now thats on a motor with only 2900 miles on it. I dought the rings are properly seated yet. I have towed an MT horse trailer about 20 miles just to feel how it was driving. Most of this was with one stud broken off too. At a certain rpm I could hear a buzzing that I just couldn't find... Till the second stud let go. Sometimes I couldn't make the buzzing sound at all. Sure glad I found it too. Its kinda shocking to drice into the driveway and see what looks like a 6 inch 3/8th inch extension laying in the drive. I'm always leving something under the truck and "find it" later when I've moved the truck....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Gary sounds to me that even though two studs are gone, it's still holding compression reasonably well. That is a good sign I would think that nothing is too terribly wrong.

Hope the new studs work well for ya. Did you by chance get a cost with nuts and washers?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
At least with numbers that good, it looks like those studs popping out didn't cause any problems ;Sweet

---------Robert

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least I am not the only one who looses tools! My boss and I both have a good set of tools. What usually happens is the oil changers borrow from one of us and put it in the others box.:backoff Once a month I go through his box and he goes through mine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. I have 3 sets of Craftsman from 3/8 up to 3/4 sockets and wrenches but I really can't find what I want when I'm looking for it. So I move on to something else and sure enough the tools turn up that I was looking for. Must be the time builders. They haven't put things in place yet when I'm looking for them. No price on the nuts. I was looking at my invoice and for some reason ARP gave me a $43.10 discount. Each stud cost $8.45 without nuts or washers. That comes out to $287.30 for 34 studs less $43.10 plus shipping ends up $252.81........ Seems like they didn'y charge me any sales tax. I didn't see that at first glance of the invoice. I better give them a call about that...... Someday.....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washers are 27.88, Hex nuts are about 35.00,12 point nuts are 216.24. thats what I got and wont make that mistake again, ouch.
They gave you a discount because they have to compete with the prices they have Summit set up on. I got a nice discount also.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washers are 27.88, Hex nuts are about 35.00,12 point nuts are 216.24. thats what I got and wont make that mistake again, ouch.
They gave you a discount because they have to compete with the prices they have Summit set up on. I got a nice discount also.

Are you saying that they sell hex nuts to go with the studs? Are they flanged as well? That's good info. Although you've got to admit the 12 pointers just look more business like.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darn shame you couldn't just put the two studs back in and call it a day. :rolleyes:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not flanged. 12 points are flanged, still need the washere with them to act like a bearing to prevent galling the head.