7.3 idi compression test results

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
Thank you yes I do need to do some timing adjustments to see if I can smooth it out. Advance it a nickel or so maybe for compensation for my ip’s mileage correct?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Usually it's recommended to do the pump and injectors at the same time as they wear together.
As for oil consumption, it sounds like your CDR is working as it should, as long as it's not externally leaking, it does sound like it's burning some. Blue smoke is a good indicator of it.
Do a leak down test. If you have excessive leak down, listen to the engine. You'll hear the air escaping past something, whether it's past the rings, intake valves or exhaust valves.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
We got the remanded oem replacements.
Usually it's recommended to do the pump and injectors at the same time as they wear together.
As for oil consumption, it sounds like your CDR is working as it should, as long as it's not externally leaking, it does sound like it's burning some. Blue smoke is a good indicator of it.
Do a leak down test. If you have excessive leak down, listen to the engine. You'll hear the air escaping past something, whether it's past the rings, intake valves or

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
How much can I access to check or replace parts that may be causing the oil leak by just removing the intake, pump, manifold and valve covers?

Rods, rockers, lifters..

Are the valve guide seals serviceable from the top?

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
I will replace the injection pump but I had a return line leak and wanted to get the injectors done. Also want to figure out what’s going on with this oil consumption first. I can’t save the money fast enough to do it when I’d like to.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How much can I access to check or replace parts that may be causing the oil leak by just removing the intake, pump, manifold and valve covers?

Rods, rockers, lifters..
"Rods" usually refers to the connecting rods. So if you mean the push rods, then the answer is yes all of them assuming that you're planning to remove the valley pan as well to access the lifters.
Are the valve guide seals serviceable from the top?
Not really. They are if you have a way to remove the valve springs with the heads on the engines. So maybe, but not really.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
How's the timing?
I still haven’t done anything with the timing. Time to make another little timing wrench again. I need to advance the timing a little bit from age I think and see if it improves at all. Any other thoughts /suggestions?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still haven’t done anything with the timing. Time to make another little timing wrench again. I need to advance the timing a little bit from age I think and see if it improves at all. Any other thoughts /suggestions?
Well I haven’t done this yet, but you really oughta use a timing meter… get er dialed in just right.

I have one now, just haven’t used it yet…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There is a tool which allows you to remove valve springs without taking off the heads.
You're right. I have the Harbor Freight version. Then you get into holding up the valves. You're looking at putting the piston at TDC or putting air into the cylinders which I didn't want to dive into. Not to mention that, after all of that, you will have to fight to get that compressor around the HVAC box on the passenger's side, and steering column, and whatever else may be on the driver's side. That's why I said "not really" and "maybe". I didn't say no, it's just not that feasible to me to try it with the heads on the engine. I also don't know if those types of tools will hit anything under the hood since I've never trued this. I'm just going off of removing head bolts to pull the heads off with the engine still in the truck. I can't imagine that this tool is a lot shorter than the head bolts. That's why I gave the answers that I did.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I still haven’t done anything with the timing. Time to make another little timing wrench again. I need to advance the timing a little bit from age I think and see if it improves at all.
That's what I'd do first. Other than possibly buying a wrench to sacrifice, it's free and relatively easy to do. It may solve your running and smoking on acceleration issues. Also, by installing a new set of injectors and not touching the pump, that will retard your timing. If your timing was already slow from pump age, and then you installed new injectors without adjusting the pump, you may have really retarded timing. It won't help with your oil consumption, but it may let you see whether or not the running and smoking issues are related to the oil consumption.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
That's what I'd do first. Other than possibly buying a wrench to sacrifice, it's free and relatively easy to do. It may solve your running and smoking on acceleration issues. Also, by installing a new set of injectors and not touching the pump, that will retard your timing. If your timing was already slow from pump age, and then you installed new injectors without adjusting the pump, you may have really retarded timing. It won't help with your oil consumption, but it may let you see whether or not the running and smoking issues are related to the oil consumption.
Thank yall very much! I really appreciate all of the help. I will get the timing dialed in and update after..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc