Cup holders

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I visited the Audi plant in Ingolstat, Germany and it was pretty wild how they manufacture the Audi. The body parts are stamped out and stacked up and mostly robotically welded together...then the drivetrain and body are 'married' and then the people do the details such as wiring and other stuff...the front end is assembled to the chassis in almost one piece.

All along the assembly line are rooms that have bathrooms and etc. to keep the workers on task...

Thirty-five hours per car from start to finish...and you can buy one there that has only had a test drive and computer scan.

There was also a museum and a guided tour...cool place to visit.

In the restaurant...the napkins have a guide on the correct way to slice a tomato...no joke...I brought a couple back...

The history timeline for the companies that merged over time to become Audi was illustrated on a wall...Auto Union...that is what the logo is all about.

I imagine that they have well-engineered cup holders...
Did you see the installation of a cup holder?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Y'all crack me up with the cup holder comments to keep the thread from completely derailing.

On another note, have you seen the YouTube video on how the vw/audi w12 engines are built? Pretty nutty that they have one big apparatus that torques all head bolts all at once.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you see the installation of a cup holder?
I did not witness the actual installation...but I imagine it was done with the center console before the seats were installed on the assembly line by a very efficient line worker with everything he/she needed to roll it along...

The visitor area was alongsiide the assembly line...but behind glass.

Sometimes the car being assembled was hung in the air and other times it was down low...depending on what was being added to it.

I saw the biggest roll of welding wire I could imagine....it was the size of a twenty gallon drum...and had a name on it....Lincoln...believe it or not...the spot welding contacts are copper...and the size of large thimbles.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about something recently...I have not seen Dirtleg on here lately...I hope that he has cupholders in his truck...

Last I remember he was gonna ditch the E4OD and install a ZF...I wonder if he is ok...maybe he could not graft a decent cupholder in with the stick shifter..?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they have one big apparatus that torques all head bolts all at once.
I'll have to check that out...thanks for bringing it to my attention....

I was told by a nice German lady that the engines were built in Turkey...but the transmissions were built in-house...and no...I could not see what or how they did that there...verboten...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's partially true. In the early 2000's they were phasing out building their own transmissions (excluding the DSG)... After the disaster that the 4spd 01M transaxle was, the 09a was a Jatco transaxle that was also used in some Toyotas. Shortly after they started going with ZF autos, that were also shared with other cars.
I just changed the transmission in my neighbor's 05 passat diesel, and ironically the transmission is shared with several Bmw's. Even newer vw's several use ZF's. The one in my audi (zf8) is also used in dodges, bmw's, alfa romero's, jeeps, 5th gen supra, jaguars, Aston Martin... Pretty nutty the utilization of ZF's

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Did you manual swap it? Or install another auto-tragic?

Has your neighbor fixed his BSM yet?

Did you check out his cup-holders LOL
Ironically, her center console is broken, so the cup holders have fallen in.

We tossed in a rebuilt auto from Eriksson ZF, whose an authorized ZF rebuilder. I offered to do a manual swap, but with two rebuilt knees she has to have an auto.

As for the BSM, I have no idea if it's been addressed or not yet. Still runs fine as is.

I'll be doing inner/outer tie rods on it soon. Did cv's when I did the trans.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note, have you seen the YouTube video on how the vw/audi w12 engines are built? Pretty nutty that they have one big apparatus that torques all head bolts all at once.
Ok...now you have done it....The Girl and I are at cross purposes and have a 100 dollar bet on the actual mechanism that torques all the head bolts at once...

I say that the bolt drivers are all geared together to spin at once and a central shaft is driven with a torque sensor on it to fasten the head bolts...it is possible that each driver has a slip clutch on it to prevent over-torquing...

This is mechanic 'A' on the oilb test...

She says the bolt drivers each have a torque sensor and each one is driven independently...

This is mechanic 'B' on the oilb test...

Which one has the cupholder...?

Mechanic 'A'

Mechanic 'B'

Both 'A' and "B'

Neither 'A or 'B'

maybe...before anyone looks it up...others can weigh in on this...and offer their insight...???

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think each bolt would need to have an independent breakaway.

On a combined torque setup there are far to many variables that could cause some fasteners to be over spec and others under, but the mainshaft would still be reading the correct torque.

Just my thoughts

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
A buddy of mine used to work at the Cummins engine plant. I had asked him about it once, but for the life of me I can't remember his answer. Apparently it's an industry standard thing, that they have calibrated robotics to torque heads.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...now you have done it....The Girl and I are at cross purposes and have a 100 dollar bet on the actual mechanism that torques all the head bolts at once...

I say that the bolt drivers are all geared together to spin at once and a central shaft is driven with a torque sensor on it to fasten the head bolts...it is possible that each driver has a slip clutch on it to prevent over-torquing...

This is mechanic 'A' on the oilb test...

She says the bolt drivers each have a torque sensor and each one is driven independently...

This is mechanic 'B' on the oilb test...

Which one has the cupholder...?

Mechanic 'A'

Mechanic 'B'

Both 'A' and "B'

Neither 'A or 'B'

maybe...before anyone looks it up...others can weigh in on this...and offer their insight...???

I would think each bolt would need to have an independent breakaway.

On a combined torque setup there are far to many variables that could cause some fasteners to be over spec and others under, but the mainshaft would still be reading the correct torque.

Just my thoughts

James
I don't know about any of this or what it has to do with cup holders, but this is how craftsman handles liquid refreshments.
A buddy of mine used to work at the Cummins engine plant. I had asked him about it once, but for the life of me I can't remember his answer. Apparently it's an industry standard thing, that they have calibrated robotics to torque heads.
It looks like they just punch a hole in the steel and put a plastic insert in, it's really elaborate!

Attachments

• IMG_20230813_145518.jpg
    IMG_20230813_145518.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230813_145710.jpg
    IMG_20230813_145710.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 3

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about any of this or what it has to do with cup holders, but this is how craftsman handles liquid refreshments.
I have never seen the point of a cup holder on a mower. I don't really care for grass in my beer.
I guess it's just for those times you feel like taking a random mower drive.