clutch safety switch

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I found the linkage in my '89 is pretty worn. the clutch rod kept slipping off the swivel , causing the pedal to the floor and STAYING! Got that fixed and then the clutch safety switch started giving problems. I have to push my clutch pedal almost through the floor to get it to start, does any one know of an adjustment I can make to keep the old girl going? I await with bated breath( or bad breath, either one):)

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a 89 it suffers from firewall flex and cracking if someone hasn’t put in the reinforcement plate, I would get some one to actuate the clutch while you watch the firewall and see if it flex’s a bunch, if it doesn’t you may just have a worn out switch. You can buy a new switch or if you don’t care about the starter interlock you can find the clutch switch jumper plug off of an auto to get rid of the switch completely.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shimmed my switch out with a couple of plastic washers I made. I used a 1.5” ( I think so) hole saw to cut discs out of a 5 gallon bucket lid, and then cut a slit in each one so I could slip it over the push rod behind the switch. Two worked out well for me.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I broke my switch a few years back trying to get it off.
I just used a jumper wire on the plug, and all is good.

You cold run the wire to a switch. It would be an anti theft device.

We installed the Fire Wall plate to beef it up. I think Bronco
Grave Yard may be the only vendor for them.

Goat

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to microswitch mine. So this doesn't happen again.

77 F-250

Reaction score
When I pushed my clutch in the steering wheel moved. That's how I figured out the firewall had issues.

Hobbywelder

Reaction score
You might check and see if the retaining ring is stuck in the firewall. Happened on my ‘93. Beyond that, you can get a motorcraft OE CSS, at least I did from rockauto.

beyond that, the bypass from the auto’s or rather blockoff plate works too. Be aware of leaving it in gear, or making sure you shut off cruise control (if equipped) prior to shifting.