Check your throttle cables!

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So..the other day i was messing around under the dash of my truck hooking up switches and such and i figured i would check my throttle cable. (The one in my 98 f150 was very stretched) well...I took up the slack with a few zip ties and HOLY MACKEREL! This thing flys now! I figure at WOT before the throttle was only open like 60%. I have a new cable on order (138$) should be in in a few days. If your truck is down on power check your throttle cable, Hopefully this helps a few people out.

86SCLB

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
it really sucks when they snap while your going down the road... ended up driving 14 miles home with a ratchet strap as a hand throttle...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
good idea... also keep some string under the seat. it works well as hand throttle too.:angel:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you snap a pic of where you are putting zip ties on? I replaced my cable but didn't really do anything besides swap it out - mine had busted plastic at the end and I got a good spare. My truck is slow as fawk!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people temporarily cure the stretched cable by crimping on lead split-shot fishing-sinkers until all the slack is taken out.

When a cable is stretched enough to require doctoring, it is subject to break or hang-up at any time.

I always cut away that useless plastic sleeve at the forward end; it serves no purpose whatsoever and causes more harm than good.

Many cables are all wadded up and fuzzed up hidden inside that plastic sleeve where the damage can't be seen.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Check your throttle when you install a new cable, there not always correct.

I noticed that with my first truck(1983 F-100). I replaced my cable when it snapped, but the new cable only opened the throttle halfway. I didn't realize it for a few weeks, so when I did figure it out, it was like a new truck.

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's different on every truck depending on how much is actually is stretched, i just pull the slack out of the cable, pull the throttle pedal up and put a zip tie where is needed. I used lead fishing weights on my 98 f150 but zip ties worked better for my 7.3

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always cut away that useless plastic sleeve at the forward end; it serves no purpose whatsoever and causes more harm than good.

It may not affect those in the warmer climates, but the "useless plastic sleeve" is technically a protective barrier designed to stop moisture intrusion.
Frozen throttle cables are no fun, but they can usually be avoided by occasionally soaking or injecting the cable with plain old green "antifreeze". That goes for parking brake cables too! ;Sweet