Carrier/facet pump observations

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the big guys are supplying holley'$ in the kits.
search button lands holley,mr.gasket and then the $$$$ dollar units.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the facet works but is likely problematic. I’m going to run as posted above. Probably eliminate stock filter with frame mounted and ad a regulator as well just gotta figure it all out. 95% of the time I have zero issues with the facet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried running twin facets? I think I’ll go that route if I ever need more fuel but right now my facet can hold 2-3psi WOT 3k rpms

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phawk that, holley black is less $$$ and more gpm's imho
Twins are for turbo'z

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried running twin facets? I think I’ll go that route if I ever need more fuel but right now my facet can hold 2-3psi WOT 3k rpms

I thought about running one on a pressure switch but I digress. I’m in the same boat. On the front tank, I’m not starving for fuel wide open at pushing 3k. So for now, I’ll make sure I’m on the front tank for hard workouts and any other time it doesn’t matter. If this pump dies, I may jump up to the next bigger one shown above and give it a whirl. But 4ish psi should be more than fine to supply the pump. I think that’s about where they are calibrated according to Mel. I think the advance is pretty much done by the time I get to those RPMs so it should be a non-issue.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would those of us running a facet benefit from adding a regulator to bring the pressure down to the 5-6 psi? Or is the 9-11 the facet produces not enough to throw the timing off?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
My main reason for sticking with the Facet to begin with was the “made for industrial diesel service” factor. Mostly used on tractor-trailer ****** units where a failure could be $10k or more in lost product.
If the system gets complex it might as well be the highest performance.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a thread here somewhere that Mel discussed the effect of fuel pressure on the pump. I don’t have time to look for it but I seem to remember for every 1 psi over 7 (I think) you loose 1/4 degree of advance. If memory serves (and that’s shakey) it really only affects the bottom end performance because the advance is out by around 2k rpm hence why we time at 2k so the internal advance doesn’t bother us during measurement.

Someone please correct me if I’ve messed this up.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those refer compressor 's are 1-2 cyl low rpm units...

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered out the new sender for the fuel pressure gauge and it may get here on Saturday. Even though the gauge needle is all over the place, the restricted filter light has never come on. The truck does seem to have a little bit better "foot to the floor" response.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The internal advance, which the hydraulic portion of the advance curve, keeps acting as long as engine rpms keep increasing. The mechanical advance done by the advance piston acted on by the light load advance arm works against the hydraulic advance by rotating the cam ring away from the rotation of the rotor. Ford set the 2000 rpm spec for timing just because its the middle of the rpm range, ultimately wide open throttle at hp peak is where timing is most critical for power, but with worn pumps and hard parts wearing differently, a pump that is set to 11* at 3000 rpms can make less timing down low than another rebuilt pump set at the same spec at 3000 rpms.
You must be registered for see images attach

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the new fuel pressure gauge sender today, and double checked the wiring on the gauge itself. Following installation of the new sender, the gauge reads 10psi with the pump on but engine off. After engine start, the gauge reads 9psi at idle. Driving on the flat and maintaining speed gauge reads 7psi. Pulling a grade with truck empty gauge drops to 5 psi. Pulling a grade and putting foot to floor drops pressure to 2psi. These results are in contrast to Laserjocks results in the first post. He is pulling a grade with a loaded truck, and has better fuel pressure (4psi) under load with the lower pressure pump (40222) and a modified truck than I do (2psi) with the higher pressure pump (40290) and a basically stock truck. I am still not sure what is going on here. The truck gives no indication that it is starving for fuel under load even though the fuel pressure gauge is (in my opinion) reading too low. The gauge needle still fluctuates while the truck is running but is it the gauge causing this, or is the pump just that erratic? Darned if I know. But a replacement gauge is not cheap, and just the new sender was $90.00, and I got a deal - usually the senders alone are around $125. I guess if I have time tomorrow, I will connect my mechanical fuel gauge. While I won't be able to see the fuel pressure under load, at least I will be able to see how it compare at idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online