Carrier/facet pump observations

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck are we supposed to do with our 40222 models.

As for my 40222 pump, that will be going in a sealed bag and kept behind the rear seat with all the other spare parts I carry. If the 40290 pump dies, I can plug and play the 40222 and make it home!

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Shaggy

Looks like @moderators....

@deiselcrawler
Hmmm

Hay scott any chance staff could look into this???

i was talkin to towkitty about a revamp/update of the tech and stickies....
we lost out

Last edited:

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for my 40222 pump, that will be going in a sealed bag and kept behind the rear seat with all the other spare parts I carry. If the 40290 pump dies, I can plug and play the 40222 and make it home!

You know I keep a tool box, jumper cables, first aid kit etc in my cars to stay prepared. Something about keeping an aftermarket spare fuel pump on hand just seems a bit too prepared lol. Not a bad idea though! I think I may try to recoup some of my money and sell it used put that towards the new pump. I specifically bought an expensive one because of it's reliability.

Anxious to see what direction this thread moves in.

Let's get those stickies updated ASAP.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the few “spare” parts I carry. I can get a lot of things from the parts store anywhere. No plug and play options readily available.

I have found so far that I don’t drop much below 4 psi even flat out on the front tank. I guess the extra tubing etc to get to the rear tank is more restriction.

I think for now I’m going to run it and watch what happens with the bigger pump. When you swap it can we get a side by side pic?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you swap it can we get a side by side pic?

Well, I had a little free time on Sunday and I installed the new pump. The 40290 pump is the same physical size as the 40222 pump - same filter and bowl as well. The only difference I can see is the hexagonal fitting on the top of the pump (the outlet) is about twice as tall as the one on the 40222 pump. I will get some pics and post them up.

So, how is the new pump working? Well, it seems to work fine, but my Autometer fuel pressure gauge has suddenly gone wonky. The needle is all over the place - at times it is at 9psi and then will drop to 0 and then swing wildly. I need to hook my mechanical gauge up and try and determine if the sender is at fault. The truck does seem to have a bit more power under hard acceleration, and the restricted filter light never flickers. Stay tuned, and hopefully I will get the gauge issue sorted out soon and I can supply some "scientific" data.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question. Does it still use 1/8 npt inlet and outlet fittings or did it jump up to 1/4? I would hope with the bigger hex bits it would have bigger fittings but maybe not.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question. Does it still use 1/8 npt inlet and outlet fittings or did it jump up to 1/4? I would hope with the bigger hex bits it would have bigger fittings but maybe not.

Unfortunately, the 40290 pump still has the 1/8 fittings like the 40222 pump. I thought about reaming out the npt to hose barb fittings that screw into the pump, but I didn't think that would really accomplish anything except maybe weaken the fittings.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about reaming out the npt to hose barb fittings that screw into the pump, but I didn't think that would really accomplish anything except maybe weaken the fittings.
I did exactly this. My inlet line is a 3/8” to 1/8 npt stainless swagelok fitting that has been bored through to something over 1/4” ID (closer to 5/16” but I don’t remember exactly). It had plenty of meat for structure. It’s not like we are dealing with high pressure here. IIRC the outlet fitting had a more reasonable ID. It’s -6 AN line.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the two pumps - the 40290 pump is on the right and has fuel in it - the 40222 pump on the left. They look the same except for the top fitting.
You must be registered for see images attach

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I firmly believe a lot of the issues those with the facets are reporting are a leaking bottom bowl allowing air in at wot but not "pulling" enough fuel from the bowl under normal driving conditions. I had a thread with videos of what my pump was doing floating around here somewhere. I could get it down to 1 psi at 3k rpms hauling uphill in 4th floored. Tightened the bowl and can't get below 3psi and will go as high as 8.5

I have the 40222 and same exact symptoms. Only floored up a hill. Hmmmm
Maybe a fuel system upgrade is in order.
We’re putting in a sump kit a larger rear tank push lock fittings and a frame mounted filter kit in my buddy jays truck soon. That may be the way to go. I don’t know what pump he’s using. Have to see how his setup works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MICHAEL MICHAUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if it's the Facet pumps that we are suspecting is the issue do we have a few alternative brands with improved designs that we could test? I would be willing to pitch into a pool to do some research if someone has a truck with 60 gauges that they want to monitor the behavior of a few different fuel pumps with a standardized test.

Could be interesting.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Some things I learned several years ago on the 86.
I had a frame mounted spin on filter BF781 I believe plumbed right after the tank selector valve. Also mounted down on the frame was a Bosch fuel pump similar to the 7.3 Powerstroke Super Duty but rated at 45 psi I believe. I then had an Aeromotive regulator mounted under the hood set at 6 psi. It ran great and fuel PSI was rock solid. The only issue was it was extremely sensitive to air. Changing the primary ( pre pump) filter meant a fuel line had to be loosened or removed to let air out and regain prime of the electric pump. Worse if you forgot to switch tanks or were down to a low level and stopped suddenly or got on an incline it would air lock and not re prime without Underwood attention. Not the injector pump the electric lift pump.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Looking back on this system perhaps adding a bleed orfice port prior to the regulator would have fixed the issue. I think the air had nowhere to go until the regulator opened up due to rising pressure and the pump would not make PSI until cleared of air. However the Facet came on the scene about this time, parts and labor were free so a Facet was installed. No more priming issues however the pressure drops off on the top end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online