bw 1356 gearvendors adapter

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to pick up a gearvendors overdrive tonight off of a dodge 727. I was wonderin of anyone had a spare adapter sitting around (highly unlikely lol.).

Also, besides the adapter wont I also need a different rear yoke?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lucky you! The yoke that is on the GV should be OK, you may just need to change your U-joint style and get a new driveshaft made. Sorry, but finding a GV 1356 adapter is going to be painfull.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it would be. Do you think the inner spline count is the same or is there a coupler that attaches the thing to the shaft on the tcase/ tranny?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to get it right now and ill let you guys know.

Thanks for advice on ebay. Ill check it out a bit later.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked it up last night. The guy I got it from was pretty near. He collects and restores tractors. Had about 100 of them scattered round the property.

Anyway, is there a way to test these units off of the truck? I was told it had 22k on it and wasn't used much.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Just send it to me and I'll give it a good working over...:eek::angel: Not really any way to test them off the truck... They need to be spinning the shaft to make enough hydraulic pressure to push the clutches in to gear... They have an electrical solenoid that can be hotted up but thats only going to tell you if it works or not.... The worst thing that could happen is you install it and its shot but... You will continue to have the same trans gears available as before you installed it. Really only the driveshfts end up differant when you install a gv.... Ebay has lots of P and J gv up for bids these days so you could find another one easily if you needed one...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between p and j units and how do you tell the difference?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the plate on the side... It will tell you P or J model... The J is an early model and not a lot of parts out there for them.... The P is the latest and greatest model. You can call Gear Vendors and tell them your serial number. They can tell you what it is easily. They also will sell you an adapter but only if you give them yours.... They call this trading but you need to give them yours and plenty of money.... Not very good business practice...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually another member here on the board has what I need for a good price.

Being that re unit came from behind a 93 cummins truck, I would assume it would be a p unit. But we all know what happens when things are assumed.

Anyone need a 727 adapter lol.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The adapter you have that wont fit your rig is worth plenty on ebay... Just surf the gv site on ebay and get an idea. then list it. Maybe you will make some cash selling it compared to buying the adapter you need.:sly:dunno

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully so. I think im getting a pretty good deal on the adapter parts.

I got a pretty good deal on the Gearvendors so I can afford some parts. I may get the adapter and hang it off of the tcase to see if it works without a driveshaft .

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, when researching what adapter you have, know that a 93 dodge cummins would 99% NOT have a 727. I have heard of a few that had 727s, but I would think they were special order fleet type trucks if they even actually exist. 91.5-93 Cummins trucks had A518s in them. Another FYI, my dad's truck has a GV hanging off of the t-case, and the whole rear half of the case is a GV part. I don't know if that is a requirement due to the aluminum case, but it would be something to research. It would suck to split you t-case in two while driving.
Travis..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Staff online

Members online