Buying 85 IDI ATS turbo motorhome!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Except this isn't towing/hauling, that's the realm of trailers.

And I'm not really understanding what you're saying aside from that.

All RVs are different in terms of the conversion, so what one needs may not be what others need. Plus, there are probably 92-94 IDI RVs with the newer van chassis, so much of what I do won't apply to those few years. Diesel Class C's of this vintage seem fairly rare, so I doubt there's a huge demand for info. IDI vans themselves are an oddity.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, man.

I write about my truck here, because that is the rig I have, that has a 7.3 IDI in it. :D And I don't limit what I write about, to just the motor.

I figure whether it's a bus, an RV, a truck, a van, a yacht, or a rocket ship... with 6.9 or 7.3 IDI yer good to go, here. :D

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I don't know, man.

I write about my truck here, because that is the rig I have, that has a 7.3 IDI in it. :D And I don't limit what I write about, to just the motor.

I figure whether it's a bus, an RV, a truck, a van, a yacht, or a rocket ship... with 6.9 or 7.3 IDI yer good to go, here. :D

Well, I try to stay on topic as much as I can. I feel that talking about the RV stuff that isn't IDI/van chassis specific belongs on an RV forum.

For example, my generator setup is totally weird and kind of unheard of, and it probably doesn't apply other RV brand. It has a gasoline generator with it's own gasoline tank and fuel gauge due to the IDI engine. And they went with gasoline instead of propane like what's typical on an RV of this type. Big diesel class A's of today sometimes have a diesel generator, if it's not an LP one. Onan made an LP version of this 4k gen I have in 1985, so I know it was an option available at the time. ElDorado just decided to put gas instead. And the starter for it is fed off of the IDI's starting batteries instead of the house battery, by a very long, heavy gauge positive cable going all the way to the passenger side engine battery from the very back where the generator is.

See, talking about that has nothing to do with IDIs themselves and isn't really helpful except to maybe 2-3 other people in the entire world with one of these ElDorado Class Cs with an IDI that got an added gasoline tank setup. LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I try to stay on topic as much as I can. I feel that talking about the RV stuff that isn't IDI/van chassis specific belongs on an RV forum.

For example, my generator setup is totally weird and kind of unheard of, and it probably doesn't apply other RV brand. It has a gasoline generator with it's own gasoline tank and fuel gauge due to the IDI engine. And they went with gasoline instead of propane like what's typical on an RV of this type. Big diesel class A's of today sometimes have a diesel generator, if it's not an LP one. Onan made an LP version of this 4k gen I have in 1985, so I know it was an option available at the time. ElDorado just decided to put gas instead. And the starter for it is fed off of the IDI's starting batteries instead of the house battery, by a very long, heavy gauge positive cable going all the way to the passenger side engine battery from the very back where the generator is.

See, talking about that has nothing to do with IDIs themselves and isn't really helpful except to maybe 2-3 other people in the entire world with one of these ElDorado Class Cs with an IDI that got an added gasoline tank setup. LOL

As long as you don't start a thread here specifically to talk about that, I just don't see a problem.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
As long as you don't start a thread here specifically to talk about that, I just don't see a problem.

Yeah, that's kind of why I started this thread actually, as a dumping ground for potentially off topic stuff related to it, and general stuff that I don't really need help with, but just to mention. On topic stuff I start new threads, like the one about the steering wheel/tie rods.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it started as a buy/build thread. You were discussing the engine and the 'van', more or less. It may contain the other stuff about the RV, but it was pretty much like my build thread when it first started.

By the way, as you worked your way through the brakes, the fuel, the IP, and several other things, it was uncanny how close your experiences were to my own, when I first brought this truck home.

I even bought the same voltmeter, power outlet set you did! I haven't installed it yet, but yeah, same thing! And the voltmeter is surprisingly accurate!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
But it started as a buy/build thread. You were discussing the engine and the 'van', more or less. It may contain the other stuff about the RV, but it was pretty much like my build thread when it first started.

By the way, as you worked your way through the brakes, the fuel, the IP, and several other things, it was uncanny how close your experiences were to my own, when I first brought this truck home.

I even bought the same voltmeter, power outlet set you did! I haven't installed it yet, but yeah, same thing! And the voltmeter is surprisingly accurate!

I bought the volt meter and outlet for a car originally, a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. After about a month, I was tired of being in it full time. Well after a week really, but yeah. I had it mounted in the very back on a replaceable little storage compartment door.

I put Yellowtop battery in the car so it was able to run a charge my cell phone overnight if needed and even run a small 12v fan without draining the battery. I put a $50 Walmart battery in the car when i sold it and kept the yellowtop, selling it finally last summer (over a year after the car).

I still carry that little blue Yamaha generator, 3 years later. It's 500W/600W peak, with a built in 12v battery charger. One of the best things I've ever bought for this lifestyle. It just sips gas!

The hitch cargo box is what I later had on the F250 and now have on the RV. That's where the blue generator is stored.

I put power switches so I could turn off each thing individually to avoid wasted power, or just to cut power from a 12v fan without getting up, in the case of the regular 12v outlet.

It got about 25mpg with the roof box and all, but it was pretty cramped with my dog. Without her? I might have stuck with it.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, don't give up. :D

I thought I understood your point, and was giving a counterpoint.

If I misunderstood, I'll never know, if you give up, and don't explain how I misunderstood.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Dude, don't give up. :D

I thought I understood your point, and was giving a counterpoint.

If I misunderstood, I'll never know, if you give up, and don't explain how I misunderstood.

I sure didn't understand his point

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope he explains. I certainly didn't mean to frustrate or anger him.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Without her?
Not worth it at all!
I kind of like the thread. While everything in it may not apply to anyone else on this forum, there's still enough that's similar to issues that other campers have, that I think it's worthwhile. While the majority of the camper/RV information here doesn't apply to my slide in camper, I may decide to upgrade someday and a lot more could apply to that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online