1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying 85 IDI ATS turbo motorhome!

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Cubey, Jan 12, 2019.

1. genscripter

genscripter Full Access Member

That sounds a lot like the Hypermax down-pipe ring. Hypermax must have copied the ATS style. I personally liked the Banks connection, because it bolts on, eliminating any possible leakage. The piston-style-ring sometimes can still leak even after it warms up.

2. Cubey

Cubey Full Access Member

I replaced the missing rear window today. I ordered it off ebay. It didn't come with the inner piece it needed, but I just drilled holes and mounted it with screws.

https://imgur.com/a/68BdMeT

3. Cubey

Cubey Full Access Member

I guess I should construct some kind of cold intake lid for the turbo air filter. EGT seem perhaps a little high, but not excessive. Highest I've seen it has been 900, but... the gauge in a bad spot, you have to lean forward to see it around the steering wheel. That was on pretty steep hills and trying not to slow down too much. EGTS drop pretty fast once it's not under such a load.

My highway MPG is a bit lousy (even for what it is, I think) probably not helped by the open top air filter it has right now. But maybe it's just the hills that did it. I'll know better in a week or two since I'm back on the road with the motorhome since the other day.

What kind of material would be good, ABS? It wouldn't suffer from retaining heat like metal. Or should I go with aluminum/steel sheet metal? The air flowing in would probably help keep the metal cooler. so maybe heat build up wouldn't be a problem.

I honestly don't think an original ATS lid could fit height wise, plus the OEM van cold air intake funnel is on the passenger side, where it has hoses and such in the way. It isn't easy to get ahold of just the lid, either.

Anyone have a picture of an NA or other turbo'd IDI van showing the air duct routing so I could get an idea of how it might route?

4. RDieselKid84

RDieselKid84 Full Access Member

Cubey, I'LL see if I can get you a shot of the air duck intake on the old 84 E350 I have in the next few days. I have to take the dog house off to get it. It is all original.

Cubey likes this.
  5. genscripter

I had a plan to run cold air intake under the passenger side battery tray, but now I think I'll reserve that space to run innercooler plumbing to the grill area.

6. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I'm sure that you'd see better results from the intercooler.

7. genscripter

I was also considering moving my passenger side battery to the frame, so that I could use that space to put a air filter box, and run my inner cooler tubing under that to the grill area. I gotta move my air filter off the top of the engine, there is just no room in these vans to access the engine if that filter crap is in the way.

8. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Even though it's been well over 18 years since I've worked on an IDI powered van, I can still remember that they are VERY limited on space. Any extra that you can gain is a huge improvement.

genscripter likes this.
  9. Cubey

Cubey Full Access Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like mine already has an air intake there. At least, there appears to be.

20190423_172558.jpg

10. RDieselKid84

RDieselKid84 Full Access Member

Cubey, I haven't had a chance to get the pictures of the intake. The picture you have of the lower right corner by the lights is the intake for the breather. Hope to get you the pictures soon.

11. genscripter

I took that stock air hose out when I put in my turbo. I'm hoping to use that space in the future to make a custom air filter box or conduit for intercooler... idk. just dreaming