Buying 85 IDI ATS turbo motorhome!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@snicklas
Thanx bud.
I was just thinking there could be a thread\forum\(or how ever it would work) for the guys running camping rigs.
As it could make a decent contribution ....
No worries.

Not a lot of folks fix ancient iron these days.
Sometimes the little hijacks in a thread like this (talking about 20+ y.o. Dry rot issue in tech forum) hinder guys searching stuff.
A 10 y.o. Camper is getting long in the tooth.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might grab a moderator and see if This could go into a "camping rig type deal perhaps in towing\hauling..

Edit
THIS was to say something like "make a tech 101" BUT as something closer to a lounge thread. ..
End edit

Edit
You are run of the mill as to mechanical issues so the thread is good where it is now.

Dunno how this could be misconstrued...
End edit

Edit
But perhaps making an "rv upgrades and maintenance" thread? ??
Just about clear as glass
end Edit

I know there are quite a few here with rigs, and a thread dedicated to campers \issues would be :thumbsup:
So anyway, carry on gents!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Only to people with more money than me who would use it more than me. I'd be giddy if I could find a 10 year old camper for a decent price.

The lowest price 2010 year model diesel class C motorhome on RVTrader is this one for $35,000.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2010-Winnebago-Chalet-24JR-5010302450

I could put a total of $15k (including the roughly $5800 I have spent thus far) into totally rebuilding my 85 and I'd and still have $20k left over. (Not that I have that kind of money.) A 10 year old one would need stuff too... so it wouldn't be as if you'd never have to spend a penny on repairs. And they'd probably be a lot more expensive for that Sprinter chassis, being a Mercedes-Benz.

Smart cars are horrible to DIY repair due to that fact, from what I've read.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was thinking of a pull type camper Vs. a R/V. I just wouldn't use a R/V enough to justify the price tag.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your looking for a decent prices rv /camp trailer look in the northwest I got my 34 foot fireball for free and he had 3 other trailers for less than 4k I see decent trailers all the time for a steal they are being sold by the family of snowbirds and are all really well take care of

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok
I cannot articulate my written inflections for You guys.
Do I think it has to be cheaper to buy a junker and fix it up.... Perhaps!

Do I think taking cubeys above dollar amount and dropping it up front is gunna get you more..
YES!
Does it matter, oh no.
I have walked those pathways, I just aint gunna do it again.
I was trying to offer something to the rv side of the conversation way back in page 1-2.
Shoulda heeded my inner voice;Poke.
I will back out now:popcorn

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ok
I cannot articulate my written inflections for You guys.
Do I think it has to be cheaper to buy a junker and fix it up.... Perhaps!

Do I think taking cubeys above dollar amount and dropping it up front is gunna get you more..
YES!
Does it matter, oh no.
I have walked those pathways, I just aint gunna do it again.
I was trying to offer something to the rv side of the conversation way back in page 1-2.
Shoulda heeded my inner voice;Poke.
I will back out now:popcorn
You're right. Sometimes the cheaper initial cost isn't worth it in the long run. Just over three years ago, I had an old guy (who was a known rip off artist) try to sell me a 5th wheel camper. Somehow, he's gotten it in his head that I needed it and tried to convince me of that. Between knowing him and the fact that it was a 1983 model, I already knew that there was at least a 99% chance that I wasn't going to buy it. I did promise to stop by over the weekend and look at it (it could have been a treasure). It was in about the same condition that I had imagined. Three of the tires on the ground plus the spare were dry rotted. Over 3/4 of the windows leaked. The outside door wasn't there, only the inner screen door with the top screen missing. There was a MAJOR roof leak due to the fact that one of the vent pipes didn't have a cap on it. There was mouse droppings everywhere inside and some animal had crawled inside and crapped on the couch. He was wanting $2000 for it and I told him NO! The most I would have given would have been $700 and that would have been IF the A/C plus the ONAN generator both worked and the 5'r/goose neck adapter went with it. I would have removed the A/C unit and the generator and scrapped the rest. He didn't offer to let me try to start the generator and also didn't offer to bring out am extension cord so that I could thy the A/C. I would have been money ahead to find a newer one, about the same size, in better shape, and pay $5000 for it. That's my example of cheaper up front would cost more.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You're right. Sometimes the cheaper initial cost isn't worth it in the long run. Just over three years ago, I had an old guy (who was a known rip off artist) try to sell me a 5th wheel camper.

Yeah there's no shortage of junk RVs. The turbo IDI, Onan generator, newer norcold fridge, and newer water heater are what sold me on this one. Yes it has a lot of rot and some rodent traces but it's fixable myself. This was close to as bad as the 5th wheel you described (leaks, rot, the entry door) but again the good about it made it worth it. The onan generator worked once I replaced the fuel pump. The roof ac works, the evaporator was just caked with dust from being run without an air filter for years I'm guessing. It didn't take much to clean that up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your RV is also bigger than that one was. IIRC, it was only 23'. Plus your RV has it's own engine so that makes it worth a little more to me. Is it my style? No, but I have nothing against anyone who wants an R/V over a pull type camper.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last post(I hope)...
Till you park yer rig, set up camp, get settled, wake up and want to go exploring!
Now fire that thing up....
Run what works.
Enjoy life.
**** social pressure!
Do what makes ya happy.
Git outta town as much as possible!
Paying a mortgage, or a leased home, or rambling...
Um my days on the scooter rocked better than my days in germany ...
Fix the ****, run it, enjoy the adventure, life is short!!
GITSOME
Right up the hwy...
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/veh...-2011-32-open-range-travel-trailer-cheap.html

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the $8 electric fuel pump I put on the generator is totally dead. Applying 12v directly to it gets no life.

I dug out the old dead high end Facet Interupter (now sold as "Gold-Flo") pump and decided I had nothing to lose seeing if it could come apart. It acted totally dead, no attempt at pumping at all. Totally dead silent.

I connected a 12v cord to it and plugged it in and the volt meter wired with the outlet showed a slight drop, as if power was being pulled. But still no life from the pump.

So, I started taking it apart. Turns out the plunger/piston was seized up in the tube/cylinder. I managed to get it out safely, clean and oil it up, then put it back together. Low and behind, it tried pumping!

But still, the problem is this. It needs a flat rubber washer on that end, somewhere around 9/16 OD x 3/16 center hole x 1/16 thick.

You can see brittle remnants that I found inside. It may be difficult to find one in the size I need, in the material I need for it to be exposed to gasoline.

You must be registered for see images attach

I emailed Facet last night asking if a parts/repair kit is available for that (and and o-ring elsewhere) but who knows if they do, if they even reply.

Yeah I could buy a new one for about $100 but why if this can be restored?

Over on smokstak, someone else had the same issue 8 months ago. A water rated washer only lasted 2 months, and they hack job made one with presumably viton.

So, I guess I might have to get a 6"x6" sheet of viton material for about $15 and cut myself a washer.

Diagram of it. Funny how it doesn't mention the washer. It goes on the plunger end entering the tube first.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Longshot... Could ya **** the second one for the washer???