Build thread for 1985 F250 "thelma"

Alacrity Machine

Reaction score
I started with this 1985 F-250. Bone stock minus the ATS 088 turbo and gauges. It ran great but for almost a year. But then the oil pump let go and i threw a rod or two.................... Its pretty. Anyways heres the carnage pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Alacrity Machine

Reaction score
So i found a motor out of a 1991 7.3 Ambulance. Had to trade out all the van hardware for the truck hardware. I should probably take pics. The motor mounts are different and so is the oil cooler. If your swapping a van motor to a truck. Stay sober enough to realize the mounts are different. The motor will not fit correctly with the van mounts. I promise. I tried. The van mounts are all pretty and cast solid iron on the drivers side. They look alot better. I painted the van oil cooler all pretty and green. It ended up being about a week set back figuring all this out.

So my original rad support support bushings where completely shot. Not saying i couldn't have bought new off the shelf. But this is my solution. I took some energy suspension. Jeep CJ5 body bushing and built some custom washers to fit in the bosses on the frame mounts and the rad support itself. Turned out perfect. Bolted it all up and worked great.

I also decided im going to rebuild the transmission. Sine i had the motor out and ultimately this truck is going to be a very important tool used to manage my small backyard expanding machine shop and also to keep my mental health in check by towing my fishing boat and other toys. I figured it was important to make sure i'm not going to have anymore problems for some time. I decided to tear down the transmission and inspect it. What i found wasn't pretty the clutches inside the direct drum were completely shot. Just plain out dead. So i started ordering parts. I decided i was going to try and resurface the direct drum and found out it was randomly work hardened all the way through in about 20-30 spots. Needless to say i didn't like it so i just barely got to ordering another one today. As for the transmission build i went with the Patc kit that includes a Sonnax servo Alto red clutches. An extra wide band and a shift kit as well. I'll be replacing the bushings i bought a rebuilt front pump as well. I guess i should post some Transmission carnage pics as well. But for now heres a picture of all the pretty parts.

So the borgwarner transfer case was also shot (imagine that) But luckily i have a married NP205 transfer case laying around that now has a new home. I'm going to twin stick the transfer case. So i have the selection between front wheel drive rear wheel drive four wheel and High, Low in all of those as well. Why do i need this ? I don't actually know. But i'll have it and thats cool.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Neat thread, but your images are not showing. Make sure you click "go advanced" and upload from there, not quick reply. Not sure why it's broken like that, but it is. Welcome to the site!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Broken for some people. Lol
The twin stick would be useful off-road. Or say you blow the rear end: drop driveshaft and axle shafts, drive home. Just kidding, can already do that.
Well I guess just off-roading. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alacrity Machine

Reaction score
Yes from here on out i'll have to make sure i get the pics to work. I'll fix sometime today or tomorrow. And yes i'm sure ill find uses for the T-case. Atleast i'll be able to trust it. I really hate borgwarner cases. I know some people don't have many problems with them. But this is the 4th truck and second truck bed full of destroyed cases that know one wants hauled to scrap. (maybe alittle bit of exageration but its more than 10) ha.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The drivers side exhaust manifold is different on the vans too. You have to remove it and install the truck manifold. The passenger side exhaust manifold is the same on both vans and trucks. If you had asked these fitment questions here many could have helped you out. Lots of this has been tried and done on the forum so there are plenty that know. What makes you think the oil pump failed causing the rods to window the pan and block.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I did not see any block damage in the pictures, it looked like the rods got spit out of the pan.

Alacrity Machine

Reaction score
Yah i found out the hard way. I still gotta do more pics. But i got it all figured out now. And as for the oil pump ill take pics as well. But what had happened is on the main shaft in the pump that holds the input gear to the pump and the pump gear itself. The knurling on the shaft that had held the pump gear had enough letting the shaft spin in the housing fine but without spinning the pump gear i apparently lost oil pressure. So when it comes the the IDI i will not say i'm anywhere the most knowledgeable. But from what i do know the oil pumps are suppose to be damn good and highly reliable. Thats just what i found when i tore it down. I'll also take pics of the block sometime this week as well. I'm always super busy so it happens when it actually happens.