Broken head bolt

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The story behind this motor begins here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1020892-pics-of-possible-6-9-replacement-a-b-c-d.html

I've begun the initial stages of the tear down of the replacement motor which has been sitting on my truck bed all winter. Its going into the shop whenever they bring in their heavy engine stand to mount it.

When I removed the rocker covers I found the reason why I probably got this motor for $350. I found a sheared bolt head (See pics) and signs of coolant. I suspect the head gasket has blown and the pressure has pushed the head of the bolt off. Perhaps they ran it over boost,who knows.

The heads were coming off anyway but I'm wondering if we should go any further at this point? I suppose it depends how long coolant has been mixing with oil but I would think with that bolt head rattling around under the rocker cover the PO probably didn't run it for long with that in there. At least I hope not.

Pics attached for analysis. In pic one you can see the bolt head. Pic 2 shows the condition of the oil in the valley pan and Pic 3 is of the sheared bolt

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 37

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You need to pull the oil pan and at least check all the mains and rod bearings. That engine was run for a long time leaking coolant into the oil pan. Just by looking at the rusted head tells me the hot coolant flowed there for a long time. Coolant will ruin the bearings quickly. I have never seen or heard of a head bolt breaking that high up the shaft. Thats actually the thickest part of the bolt. You hopefully will have no problem removing the broken bolt once the head is off.... Unless someone before you removed the heads and didn't clean the block threads with a bottoming tap... Thats about the only way you can get enough torque on a bolt to break it. But then the bolt usually breaks down at the first thread because its thinner there in diameter. Maybe that bolt was a defect....:dunno

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i had one break like that in my old 83. it was driverside front. very front headbolt(outisde the valvecover) and never had an issue. lol the head popped off just like in your pic. when i tore the motor down to do bearings and rings i just put vice grips on it and out it came.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to pull the oil pan and at least check all the mains and rod bearings.

We planned on that anyway

That engine was run for a long time leaking coolant into the oil pan. Just by looking at the rusted head tells me the hot coolant flowed there for a long time.

Is it possible the rust accumulated as a result of laying in the bed of my truck for 5 months over the winter?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spare 6.9 that had a head bolt broke like that too (drivers side head). It was one of the bolts right by the exhaust manifold. Pulled the head off soaked the base of the bolt in PB for a day then like Diesel Crawler I threw the vice grips on and it made a loud pop then threaded right out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats an icky mess. Don't discount the possibility that this motor is salvageable though. We don't know enough at this point, and only your tearing it down further will reveal how suitable it is for repair.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got it mounted on the engine stand today and drained the oil. There was about a tablespoon of coolant in there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you are going all teh way into the engine, cam bearings and all, there;s no reason to think it's not salvagable depending on what caused the failure, but with that kind of water exposure you would not want to skip anything.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going all teh way into the engine, cam bearings and all, there;s no reason to think it's not salvagable depending on what caused the failure, but with that kind of water exposure you would not want to skip anything.

Once we get the heads and pan off. That will reveal all. I'm hoping I can avoid are ring/bearing job!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sure does not look like a break...that bolt looks more like some one torched it off along time ago and didn't change out the bolt. Just a swap of a head n off it went by looks of things...but what do I know...

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sure does not look like a break...that bolt looks more like some one torched it off along time ago and didn't change out the bolt. Just a swap of a head n off it went by looks of things...but what do I know...

Look at the first photo again. Bottom left next to the valve spring you can see the sheared off head. If someone had torched it off I don't think they would have left it in there rattling around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle