Block freeze plug write up

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It Turns out that my Snap-On dealer cannot get me a tool or at least this tool. I was quite angry when he told me. Hopefully I can get one some how in the future.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Hey Gary, Sorry, Forgot about measuring that critter, here's the dimensions
outer shell length 5"
inner shell length 4.956"
shell wall thickness 0.2475"
shell hole 0.993"
Shell outside diameter 1.5"

Plunger:
overall length 6"
length that goes through shell to shoulder 4.991"
Length of Striking head 1.009"
Width of chamfer around end of plunger 0.061" ~45 deg chamfer
Diameter of plunger 0.992"
Diameter of striking head 1.375"
Chamfer around striking head thickness 0.233" ~ 45 deg chamfer

That otta cover it :D
----------Robert
(kneeling here) could please have arrows, like in a drawing--showing the dimensions?? and a drawing?? of the end of the outer shell, how the chamfer, or bevel is. as this kornfuses me!!!! and does the bevel for the concave of the plug, in the outer shell, match the soft plug before its hammered?? when the center plunger is all the way thru the outer shell--how much distance between the bottom of the plunger--and the outside edge of the barrel with a straight edge across it? sometimes hard to put dimensions to a part without drawings--thanks from us all!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
(kneeling here) could please have arrows, like in a drawing--showing the dimensions?? and a drawing?? of the end of the outer shell, how the chamfer, or bevel is. as this kornfuses me!!!! and does the bevel for the concave of the plug, in the outer shell, match the soft plug before its hammered?? when the center plunger is all the way thru the outer shell--how much distance between the bottom of the plunger--and the outside edge of the barrel with a straight edge across it? sometimes hard to put dimensions to a part without drawings--thanks from us all!!!!!!!!!!

Numbers I can do, but if you want pictures, you'll find out real quick why I didn't go into engineering :rotflmao
YEs, the bevel in the outer shell matches the plug before it is hammered, the new plug cradles into it perfectly ( which precludes using an aftermarket plug since the ones from Napa are shaped differently ) I believe part of the reason for that angle is also to keep the plug forcing inward and pinned in at the edges and keep it from rolling around and curling back out ( which is one of the common failure modes when the plugs are installed without the tool )

It's kind of tricky to measure the plunger across the sleeve. I'll have to dig out the good feeler gauges later and see if I can get a decent measurement on that gap. It's amazingly small. What makes this little contraption work is the shape.

-----Robert

sassyrel

Reaction score
That'd be soooo easy to make. Prolly cost a whopping $5.00 for materials
yup, thats true, but like robert said. its the angle of the dangles that make it work properly----thats why i asked him for measurements-----

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If Robert would be willing to ship that thing. I could make one in an hour, or two. Then completely diagram it for anyone needing the measurements.

Speaking of the IP wrench. I got a complete 6.9/7.3 Rotunda Essential Service Set for $60.00 off'n eBay. That was before the rush for Ford specialty tools.

Like this one, 'cept it is complete

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
If Robert would be willing to ship that thing. I could make one in an hour, or two. Then completely diagram it for anyone needing the measurements.

Speaking of the IP wrench. I got a complete 6.9/7.3 Rotunda Essential Service Set for $60.00 off'n eBay. That was before the rush for Ford specialty tools.

depends on what robert wants to do--:D hes the one that spent the original money---

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever thought about a loaner tool program? Advance Auto and places like that do it. We could mail these tools back and forth.

Paul B

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I thought about a loaner tool chest system a long time back. Nobody seemed interested in it at that time. I have to get a Snapon timing meter and a freeze plug tool and my personal colletion will be complete for any motor work. I even made up the block and head hydro plates that some may have seen from our Dinner in San Farncisco a while back.... How would you insure that anybody that borrowed a tool returned it after they were done with it??? Take a "core charge" that equates to the cost of the tool??? This has its merits. I'm willing to loan out what I have. I just want things back in the same condition when they are returned. I know thats sometimes difficult like loaning a freeze plug tool. This needs a hammer hit so some trama may happen to the anvil part of the tool but thats to be expected too.

sassyrel

Reaction score
you read my thoughts--but as you said. were all honest here,but a deposit keeps us all honest----------------------:D :D

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've mailed one of my Injector Bore Reams out to a member. It was returned promptly, and undamaged.
I'd participate.

sassyrel

Reaction score

what piece is missing in the top tray???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

If you want to pay the shipping and leave a deposit on the thing on paypal, you'd get it back soon as the thing comes home, I don't mind it traveling. I hate to be that way, but the last time I lent a high ticket item out cross country it never found it's way home and the guys email all the sudden didn't answer back, not like he had any excuses, I had sent a prepaid return shipping label with the thing :backoff .

-------Robert