BILLOWING white smoke

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had an intermittent billow of white smoke while driving around. It would happen once a day maybe but right as I got off the interstate this morning after an hour it just let loose billowing white smoke. I did pull the injectors a few weeks ago so I though maybe an injector Oring. I pulled the oil fill and i cannot keep the cap on the open hole it vibrates/gets pushed away from the white smoke emitting from the valve cover. Also after I briefly passed my hand over the smoke coming from the fill cap my hand was sticky like antifreeze.
Please tell me my engine didn't just take a dump on me.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the smoke smell like and is your coolant disappearling?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you post a video of the fill cap test?

7.3 rarely blows a head gasket or cracks a head. I've never personally heard of that happening.

could be o-rings or cracked injector cup

how many miles ?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just "shimmed" the injectors about a month and 5000 miles ago. I did pull all the injectors to do this and resealed them with new Alliant power Orings and coppers.
I will try to take a vid of the cap test. It is definitely smoking much more than normal from the cap.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell it only has one rebuilt injector in it. The rest all look factory.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just "shimmed" the injectors about a month and 5000 miles ago. I did pull all the injectors to do this and resealed them with new Alliant power Orings and coppers.
I will try to take a vid of the cap test. It is definitely smoking much more than normal from the cap.
prior to this, did the truck have an white smoke issues?

If not, I would look closely at the o-ring cups recently installed.

240k is nothing, provided the 7.3 has been maintained.

T444E B10 rating is 200k miles, B50 rating is 350k miles which is very conservative.

What made you decide to shim the injectors?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, just picked it up and it's not smoking now. But it def has oil in the oil. Thoughts?!?!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol sorry. Coolant in the oil. Its milky and super sludgy. But what would cause this AND intermittent billowing white smike

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then how would the problem be intermittent? And how would it absolutely billow white smoke at all. When I say billow I mean I was afraid I was a hazard driving to other drivers. You couldn't see anything.
Also the oil cooler was rebuilt about 6mo ago just as an aside.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said most likely. You may have 2 different problems. If you have coolant in oil you need to fix that and see if it still smokes. As for rebuilding oil cooler recently, it’s not hard to nick an o ring on installation. Did you smell the smoke to see if it was coolant or fuel, or could be oil?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your injectors are oil driven. Oil mixed with coolant could cause injectors to do strange things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01