Best way to preserve an IP?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have the Uhaul pump that came off my 94 (which has maybe 2k miles on it) that I intend to keep as a spare. (read: I'm going to work on giving ICANFIXALL a run for his title. :rotflmao) I'm wondering what the best way to store this in my garage might be to keep it preserved? I could vacuum seal it or?

DragRag

Reaction score
I would just keep it clean and dry, they will last years that way without issue. 5 years though, maybe not. You could sell it, and buy another later on if you are worried about the time it will last on the shelf?

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put clean diesel in it about every 6 months? i wouldn't think it being dry inside would be good for it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Find a 1 gallon can with a sealed lid. Soak th clean rag in diesel and wrap up the pump. Place this in the plastic 1 gallon can and seal the lid. Thats how I save my pumps when I'm not running them. Its getting time to order a baby moose just for this reason... Then I retire the Moose pump to the can... Use it every so often just to keep it wet inside....:rotflmao:eek::angel:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it's been used, take it to a pump shop and have them pump it full of calibration fluid and cap it off like they do when rebuilding them. They will handle sittng near forever like that They;ll probably charge you under $20

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...this is interesting for sure Love the rag bag bucket idea, since I want to get a moose pump but wont be using it for some time...only thing is warranty...rofl...oh well...get it store it and go from there!