Battery Question

nu2this

Reaction score
Hopeing for some input from some of you more experienced folks regarding replacing my batteries.

I have a 1988 F-250 7.3 that has 2 deep cycle batteries that need to be replaced. Are deep cycles really required?

Thanks for your input.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have deep cycles on mine. I just bought two 950 cold cranking amps for mine and works great.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deep cycles are not good for cranking high amp loads unless they say starting on them.
As forcefed said 950cca or better .Clean and inspect all connections as you change them. Very important.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in Optima Reds, and have dual setups in every one of my vehicles. Before that I always went with Diehard Gold, but then they turned into less that stellar products.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopeing for some input from some of you more experienced folks regarding replacing my batteries.

I have a 1988 F-250 7.3 that has 2 deep cycle batteries that need to be replaced. Are deep cycles really required?

Thanks for your input.

If you want to just stick some batteries in there, then any old battery will do.

If you want to fix it once and for all, replace the lead cable-ends with copper ring/lug terminals, or just make up new cables with the copper lugs.

Do away with the middle-of-the-cable terminal by using two seperate HOT cables.

Get two GROUP-31S STUD-TYPE batteries that have 3/8" threaded studs, instead of the troublesome lead posts.

If you follow this advice, you will thank me many times in years to come.;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with this on an 87 up is you have to mod the battery tray to lower it an inch or so, or the studs can weld to the hood. :eek:
But midnight has it right,:hail that is the BEST solution;Sweet

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in Optima Reds, and have dual setups in every one of my vehicles.

I agree with using the optima red top's, I have dual setups in both my diesel pickup's, jeep, and boat. I like the less corrosion, no spilling battery acid, no maintenance and it amazes me how long they can set and still have a full charge;Sweet

nu2this

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone!!!!!!--------------This is one great forum.:D
:D

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with this on an 87 up is you have to mod the battery tray to lower it an inch or so, or the studs can weld to the hood.

Or you can cut a section of side-wall from an old truck- or tractor-tire and fasten it over the HOT terminals, such that the rubber prevents contact.

I put 31s in an 88 with no negative issues.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goto autozone buy the golds and tell them that you can get the walmart gold maxx battery for $76.37. It worked for me they matched walmarts price, but time will tell how long they last but 3 year full replacement warranty then prorated to 84 months.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up your local Interstate Battery warehouse. They sell factory seconds (a.k.a. "blems", a.k.a. "blemished") batteries.
Usually the "blemish" is a nick in one of the posts or missing label, or a broken handle or something like that - an appearance item that doesn't affect function in any way.

I got TWO of their Group 65, 950CCA batteries for $88 + tax - less than 100 bucks out the door. You can't beat that with a stick...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother has been using Interstates for a while and they seem to be losing quality every year. I just wouldn't personally use them myself.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've allways been satisfied with Die Hard batts. But after shopping around, I went with Interstate's the last time. When I pulled up to the Interstate battery distributors, there were 3 Ford, and 2 Chevy diesels parked in the lot.
The salesman walked me thru a couple of choices, and then suggested a new heavy duty battery that Interstate had devloped. I looked, and it said 875 CCA. I said that wouldn't be enough for cold mornings. He said "That's whats in my truck", as he pointed to one of the Fords outside. Then he took one of the batts off the shelf, pealed the plastic off it, and hooked it up to the load tester. It read a steady 1100 amps with the load as high as the machine could produce. He looked at me and smiled. I knew right there that the battery was waaay underrated.

Heavier plates, case, terminals, 2yr free replacement,5 yr prorated, and within $15 of the recomended battery for our app. I was sold right there.

With these batts, new Nipondenso starter, and batterycables.com cables. I bet I could drive my truck to town, with just the starter!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I like Optima batts for most applications, pretty impressive batteries ( heck wife.gov just drove home an hour and a half with two starts on a busted alternator belt and night last week in her car on one ), but decided against for my truck and went with a pair of group 31 s stud tops. aside from the ease of installation and easier to make up cables etc, cranking amps are not the only thing to look at on a battery. for a big diesel, the thing that will get you that second and third or more long cranking session on a cold day when it decides to spring an air leak is the reserve capacity of the battery, you need to look at that rating as well, and the red tops are pretty pitiful compared to a group 31. you can get a yellow top that will do the trick but at the time I was buying the size dimensions had the thing way too tall to fit without major surgery.