Batteries 100% drained dead - new problem

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used the truck in about 3.5 weeks and went to turn it on and both batteries are totally drained. Checked the obvious stuff to see if lights were left on etc. and didn't see anything. The truck hasn't really had any noticeable electric problems like draining and it's sat for this long before. Last time I used it everything was fine. I know there could be 1000 different reasons for this to happen but my first question is how do I charge the batteries? This hasn't happened to me on this truck so which do I charge first and I'm assuming I need to do both. What if I wanted to jump it? Which do I attach to?

I'm also assuming that since these are 100% dead they are now useless but I want to try to get it back up and see if it drains again. I was planning on going on a camping trip next weekend :/.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've found that if you reaaallly slowly trickle charge them back up, usually they'll do just fine. The batteries in my truck are from 2010 and they've gone flat 3 times. Still cranks up just fine to this day.

When I say slow, I mean like 1.5 Amp charger

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many amps my trickle charger is, its up at my parents house but I'm getting it this week. Any idea about jumping it? I want to try to charge them ASAP without the trickle charger if possible.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you jump start, use the passenger's side battery. You'd have to let the jumping vehicle run quite a while before your truck will start though. If you want to charge your batteries, leave them both connected so both will charge at the same time.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of shape are your alternator and regulator in..?

We might as well anticipate the second question if you have a trip scheduled...to avoid a snafu that might happen if you wait too long to diagnose the drain-down cause...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they're AGM, you have to trick them to take a charge sometimes. Hook the charger to a good battery and run jumper cables between the the batteries.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that if you reaaallly slowly trickle charge them back up, usually they'll do just fine. The batteries in my truck are from 2010 and they've gone flat 3 times. Still cranks up just fine to this day.

When I say slow, I mean like 1.5 Amp charger

That is a long time to run a pair of batteries....longer than I ever have...

What brand are they..?
Yeah, Nero that's some serious battery tending! I buy my batteries at the junkyard........ with my tires. I can usually find a matching pair of really good batteries.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had always gotten good service out of Diehard batteries...

I almost guessed that was what you had...

What do you use for a hold-down..? Oh...wait...you have that clamp that bolts down with a long skinny bolt...the plastic wedge...

I ran a factory Ford battery for 11 1/2 years and I probably would have gotten longer outa it but I did not drive the car during the winter...and that probably cost me a couple of more years...I did not trickle charge it...but it was a good experiment...for longevity.

I did get 60,000 + miles out of Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires though...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a battery from the 1900s!
Maybe we can take up a collection to get him some newer cable shielding...I have a couple of bags of the stuff...salvaged from my previous job...comes in handy...along with machine storage bags, pallets, crate lumber...old battery cables for the copper...old terminals for the lead...discarded steel...discarded bolts...I picked up a hat outta the trash that had a neck screen to keep insects away...a cool looking boonie hat...The Girl wears it now...

Oopss...looks like we did it again...the thread went off the rails...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
No we're still talking about batteries :rotflmao
Both my positive and ground cables are still good
I've also made sure my chassis grounds and cable ends have always been clean. I also have an on board trickle charger that is 1.5 amps, so the few times it has gone flat, I always wean them back up.

I've also nabbed a few battery cores and was able to restore them too. There's science in how if you over charge them, or rapid charge them the plates will flake and fracture, which reduces their lifespan. But that's another thread's worth of info lol

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy my batteries at the junkyard........ with my tires.
That is a good way to save some bucks for other, more needed things...like a centrifuge...

It never occurred to me to shop for batteries at the salvage yard...but...funny it would come up...just last week I saw a sign for a wrecking yard that was advertising used batteries...

Learn something every day....hhmm!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online