Batteries 100% drained dead - new problem

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time your batteries are run down flat, they will lose some capacity (sulfated plates). In my experience, if they sit dead for any length of time they won't come back much, if at all. They may crank the truck for summer starts but I'd seriously consider getting a new pair before winter... I don't know how cold it gets in your part of CA though.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I'm learning all kinds of things about battery maintenance now.

If you jump start, use the passenger's side battery. You'd have to let the jumping vehicle run quite a while before your truck will start though. If you want to charge your batteries, leave them both connected so both will charge at the same time.

So I'm just going to hook the trickle charger up this week and leave the batteries connected as is and let it go, right?

What kind of shape are your alternator and regulator in..?

We might as well anticipate the second question if you have a trip scheduled...to avoid a snafu that might happen if you wait too long to diagnose the drain-down cause...

I've never tested or inspected either. I've haven't even looked at my regulator so maybe I should at least check that out, theres always been a decent amount of crud and oil floating around in the engine bay. Is there any way I can test things without having battery power?

Every time your batteries are run down flat, they will lose some capacity (sulfated plates). In my experience, if they sit dead for any length of time they won't come back much, if at all. They may crank the truck for summer starts but I'd seriously consider getting a new pair before winter... I don't know how cold it gets in your part of CA though.

I hear you on that but I don't want to replace the batteries until I figure out what caused these ones to drain down.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So I'm just going to hook the trickle charger up this week and leave the batteries connected as is and let it go, right?
That's right. Just don't expect them to be charged very quickly. A trickle charger takes a few days to charge up one dead battery and you have two.
Is there any way I can test things without having battery power?
You can pull your alternator off and have a parts store test it. As for the regulator, I'm not aware of any way to test that without the truck running. Sometimes, one of those parts can work and still have some type of internal short which will drain your batteries.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right. Just don't expect them to be charged very quickly. A trickle charger takes a few days to charge up one dead battery and you have two.

You can pull your alternator off and have a parts store test it. As for the regulator, I'm not aware of any way to test that without the truck running. Sometimes, one of those parts can work and still have some type of internal short which will drain your batteries.

Funny how expensive this issue can become with just killing batteries and what not. Assuming I can get the batteries charged I can then test the alternator without removing it right? Alternator can just be tested by +/- on battery and then rev the engine right? Should jump to 14? Would the battery that I'm testing be relevant or should it not matter since they're connected?

Found this video about testing the regulator while running. If you have a sec to watch he puts positive in each female side of the connector then I'm guessing negative to any ground or negative on the battery? He doesn't really show what he's doing very well.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Any idea how this could have happened? Once these trucks are up and running can they continue to run if the alternator or regulator dies? Just seems strange that I wasn't having any noticeable electrical issues. I took it on a long drive like 4-5hrs and it was super hot but I'm not sure how that would do anything.

I also just checked under the hood, drivers side positive and negative hardness have some cracking and also the regulator looks like it's probably the original one and also noticed it looks like there was some shorting or sparking happening on it... could be rubbing but idk.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
With the swelling that ground has, I'd peel it back and make sure it's not growing.
As for the split on the positive, I wouldn't worry about that. Slap some electric tape over it and call it good.

As for testing the regulator, once the truck is running, find an auto parts store that has a battery/alternator tester. You hook it up to a battery, and it tests the system, checks for AC voltage and regulator performance. Just also remember it's a stock alt so amperage won't be that high.
I'd you find someone with a Carbon pile tester, you could test it that way too, apply 70 or 100 Amp load, depending on which alt you have. Should hold the load no problem. Then use a digital multi meter to check for AC ripple. If all is good, then alternator is fine.
I'd check for parasitic draws if the batteries keep going flat.

If you reeaaallly wanted to get crazy about it, clean all your grounds. Mostly the one under the dash next to the fuse panel, where both battery grounds attach to the frame/engine, core support grounds. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to clean all the positive connections too, such as the ring terminals on the starter solenoid and the alternator connection.

Pretty impressive how much of a difference cleaning hot and ground points makes a difference.

And like idibronco said, a good low Amp charger takes days to recharge a battery with minimal damage.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 1.5amp trickle charger at the house and it dawned on me that maybe I should remove the batteries to charge because it might take even longer or the batteries might drain faster than they charge. What do you think?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you have a parasitic draw, entirely possible. Only downfall is you'll have to charge them one at a time.

I personally charge them on a bench. I've only had one battery boil over during a slow charge, I'd rather it not be in a vehicle to spill acid everywhere.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just attached the trickle charger to pass side with everything still connected and I think it fried. The indication lights on the charger stopped working as soon as I attached it.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try your charger on a good battery if you can. If your batteries are totally dead the charger will shut down. if your charger is good, put jumper cables from a good battery to your dead batteries and then put your charger on the dead batteries. If it acts like it’s charging take off the jumper cables. You have to make the charger think the batteries will charge.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try your charger on a good battery if you can. If your batteries are totally dead the charger will shut down. if your charger is good, put jumper cables from a good battery to your dead batteries and then put your charger on the dead batteries. If it acts like it’s charging take off the jumper cables. You have to make the charger think the batteries will charge.
That's for AGM, but yeah right on.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll check it out. I’d like to think that happened but the lights used to turn on right when the charger was plugged in and I unplugged it and re-plugged it and the lights didn’t turn on again. Will report back.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I semi did this. Checked the charger on a little 6v battery and it lit up and then disconnected it and plugged it into the truck and it sparked a bit and stayed lit. Checked with multimeter and batteries instantly showed something like 4.5v. You can see the nice faintly lit hood light :)

Looks like you are getting a lotta help...cool...

Buncha great guys...huh..?

I've learned so much on this website probably couldn't have figured out half the crap I have so far.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason over night the charger stopped so I took the battery out and started the charger in the work shed, at work now so who knows. I’m thinking the charger is on its last leg.

Just curious again, does the truck need charged batteries in order to run once it’s started? Also, since they’re connected if one battery crapped the bed would it drain the other one?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason over night the charger stopped so I took the battery out and started the charger in the work shed, at work now so who knows. I’m thinking the charger is on its last leg.

Just curious again, does the truck need charged batteries in order to run once it’s started? Also, since they’re connected if one battery crapped the bed would it drain the other one?
The truck will run just fine after started without batteries.
Yes one bad battery will ruin the other. Bets to replace at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online