Clutch Questions!

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so it appears that LuLuBelle ( 1989 F- 250 ) needs a new clutch. From all the racket and what I can see, it appears she is carrying the original clutch. It being a dual mass clutch, which replacement clutch kit should I purchase at the local Oreilly store? Give me your honest opinions please

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've heard lately the release bearing in the LUK kits isn't that good, but the rest is solid. I'd recommend a LUK kit and get a better release bearing and call it a day.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard lately the release bearing in the LUK kits isn't that good, but the rest is solid. I'd recommend a LUK kit and get a better release bearing and call it a day.
You are 100% correct, it seems if you grease the hell out of it they hold up better

ihc1470

Reaction score
I recommend single mass conversion. LuK and southbend were the only ones i knew of.... 15 years ago.
Since I probably will be facing this issue down the road I have a question. It appears the majority seem to recommend going to a single mass conversion. Why is that?

From what I understand there are more noise issue from the transmission at idle.

Does the dual mass cause that many issues?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
They can fail, destructively. Also use a small diameter clutch lining... 11" maybe.

Edit: dual mass flywheel used to be very costly to replace. Not sure whats its like nowadays.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
They used to be $2,000 for just the flywheel. A smf kit cost about $500.
And yes, when they fail they rattle, but then can eventually explode and take out your transmission and even your engine.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I probably will be facing this issue down the road I have a question. It appears the majority seem to recommend going to a single mass conversion. Why is that?

From what I understand there are more noise issue from the transmission at idle.

They used to be $2,000 for just the flywheel. A smf kit cost about $500.
And yes, when they fail they rattle, but then can eventually explode and take out your transmission and even your engine.
$$$$$$$...... and HEY, you really get to loving the REERRREERRRRREERRRRRRRRERRRR in parking lots, lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
My old man's first idi was already converted to a smf when he had gotten it. When he bought me my truck, it was still a dmf so I got to experience the quiet transmission... Until the dmf started to go. It definitely makes a heck of a rattle. Gear rollover noise doesn't bother me at all.

THSIM9

Reaction score
I converted to SMF about 5 years ago. Used a LUK kit. You get used to the rollover noise, I’ve found that a little bit of Lucas oil stabilizer helps quiet it down just a little.

Some people will look at you funny when slow rolling in a parking lot. LOL

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 different IDI trucks, my 86 extended cab, and its engine donor, a 90 RCLB, and I’ve got my 91 service truck. I only have one friend whose truck originally had a dual mass flywheel. And it has a single mass in it now. My trucks are all single mass, I bought them that way, and I put one in my 86 when I did 7.3 turbo and ZF5 swap.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a feller going to give me an estimate on the cost of putting a clutch set in, for me. If all goes well it may be next month before we start hauling trailers again And I think Ill stop by Autozone and see if they have any cup holders on sale. Hard to drive a stick and hold a cup of coffee and drive at the same time.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the recommended number of cup holders for a supercab pick up. Ive heard the numbers range from NONE to 12......... I await your answer with bated breath ( or bad breath, whichever ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online