Batteries,,,,

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like ACDelco batteries. I've had good luck with longevity and they're inexpensive (comparatively). I paid $115 each last time I bought G31 batteries.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The starter has to work harder in cold weather due to thicker oil and the batteries have to work harder too. If the starter isn't getting enough amperage due to bad cables, it could be the problem. And just because the starter was replaced doesn't mean it's not going bad already for some reason. Just saying.

In any case, I've always had good luck with Everstart Maxx batteries. I got Johnson Control ones.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If you have Auto Club they sell decent batteries at fair prices. Upside they deliver and install at your home. (Or your hotel or campsite.) I tell my parents to use this service. Have told my wife to use it when I have been out of town for work. I was a fan of Sears Die Hard before all the Sears stores closed.

I prefer the agm batteries and try to get the more expensive ones with the 2 or 3 year replacement warranty. I try to get the highest CCA I can. I set a reminder in my calendar to test the battery before the warranty is up. Then if it fails or is marginal I have them replace it.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing I have been noticing about AGM's, after 5 years you are done. We have them in a electric vehicle and also back up in alarm systems at work. The good thing is they do not require any maintenance, good thing you can't get to them in that electric vehicle. But like clockwork, after 5 years they have lost a lot of their oomph. You might nurse them to 6 years, but that last year will be dicey.

drewr13NJ

Reaction score
This is what I tried and I love it! I had some bad air intrusion issues due to forgetting the O-ring on the fuel filter bowl. Without these batteries, I doubt it would have started.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have h7 costco agm interstate's, Im using a boat lift battery try. They have been doing good, even down to 0*f with a 20 sec glow on 60g plugs.

You must be registered for see images attach
That looks really slick, but would be high-maintenance in my wet climate. My van had one on the frame like that, and it came off/out in a hurry.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really slick, but would be high-maintenance in my wet climate. My van had one on the frame like that, and it came off/out in a hurry.

It did for some time and now its straped till I get around to making hanger straps for it, the welded ones failed to flex.

Edit: Oh and this tray aint budging with 7 7/16 bolts holding it, see the studs poking at the bottom now thos are tie downs to a top strap.

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Group 31 Batteries you can get threaded? What's that and how do I get that set up?
As in the post type?

If the group 31 batt lists as '31S' you normally find threaded studs only. '31M' is marine style with studs and posts. If it's 31 by itself.... Better check what it comes with; usually the basic posts though.

I put military style connectors on most of my batts, that way I can land as many lugs as I want.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Walmart has switched over to Deka as their supplier around here so thats what I have been using. The oreilys super start batteries are also made by Deka but Walmart has the same batteries for about half the price. If you look at the part number on the walmart batteries they will start with EP meaning east penn if they are made by Deka.

Also if your wanting to switch to groups 31 batteries you can get them with automotive post. Oreilys normally stocks them in the back and I'm sure other places do as well.

MadMac

Reaction score
After having trouble for a very long time, I put in a pair of Optima’s, not exactly the low $$ option. But having spent so much time trying to deal with the “not quite good enough” to start problems. Due to low voltage - down significantly between starter and either battery & the ground wire - replaced the hot side wiring with a 4-0 harness. That alone made a big difference.

But the surprise, which may not be that obvious - was adding a good battery tender. Granted - it does not get ”really cold” here in NorCal…. No matter what the state of the alternator, I was not putting the truck away “fully charged”. This might be the cheapest alternative to getting new batteries.

silexis

Reaction score
I have 7-8 year old Sears Platinum Diehards group 65 945 CCA (rebranded Odyssey's) with no problems since they were new. I keep the truck "tuned up" (all GP's working, injectors in good shape etc) and it starts in below zero weather with no problem, left outside with no block heater plugged in and never run them down excessively.
I got them on a great sale years ago. When these die, not sure if I will buy them again as Sears doesn't sell them anymore and they are way expensive from Odyssey ($360 each).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online