Axle Swap

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a Dana 60 rear end out of an 84 F250, with a Yukon Powr-Lok positraction. I was wondering if that would be a direct swap into my truck?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
It should just bolt right in with new U bolts. With that said, the Dana's and Sterlings had ups and downs.

Be prepared to replace a wheel seal everytime you need to pull your brakes. That's right, the Dana's require you to pull the hub to get at the rear shoes and drums.

Make sure that the ratio is the same (pull the cover and divide the two numbers into each other...this will give you a number (3.54, 4.10, 4.56, etc)

Truck wise, new rear U bolts and it should just drop right in!

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should just bolt right in with new U bolts. With that said, the Dana's and Sterlings had ups and downs.

Be prepared to replace a wheel seal everytime you need to pull your brakes. That's right, the Dana's require you to pull the hub to get at the rear shoes and drums.

Make sure that the ratio is the same (pull the cover and divide the two numbers into each other...this will give you a number (3.54, 4.10, 4.56, etc)

Truck wise, new rear U bolts and it should just drop right in!

whoa there, im swapping a sterling 10.25 from what was a d60, this mean i gotta get new u-bolts?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never replaced a set of ubolts when doing an axle swap. As long as there not rusty and come apart easy i've never had a problem.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
U-bolts are torque to yield. Re-using them is very possible but far from a wise idea. Why risk it? Snapping a U-bolt is not fun.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We reused my U-bolts when I did my 4.10 to 3.55 swap. No issues that I can see so far, doesn't make it a good idea. It really sucked cause I had actually gone out of my way to have new ones fabricated which were just a fraction of an inch too small. Also, are you sure you want a Dana 60 as a REAR axle? They are the best for a front, but maybe a little down on weight capacity for a truck rear end. If you use it as a toy/DD and never tow or haul heavy I bet it would never give you a problem. I have never heard of a D60 rear in a 3/4 ton or bigger Ford though, but have heard of the D61 in this application. They had some different, gear ratios available I think. As far as I know with the 10.25 it was always 3.55, 3.08 or 4.10 unless you put something different in later on.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about my front d44 to d50 swap? havent looked but are there U bolts holding on the IFS front application?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
what about my front d44 to d50 swap? havent looked but are there U bolts holding on the IFS front application?

Yes sir there are. They hold the square axle tube to the springs in a D50.

In a D44 application, there are coil springs (1/2 ton) and in the other trucks, leaf springs like a D50....with U bolts.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i already know the truck has 3.54s just like my truck has, and i already have a Dana rear end so i guess im not really gaining or loosing anything as far as sterling vs Dana. I dont really ever tow a lot with the truck or haul real heavy. Its mostly just a DD that can do whatever i need. But its good to know that it should just be pull out and put in.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir there are. They hold the square axle tube to the springs in a D50.

In a D44 application, there are coil springs (1/2 ton) and in the other trucks, leaf springs like a D50....with U bolts.

weird cause my current d44 doesnt use coils, its leafs all around, but then again you said only 1/2 ton and mines 3/4 so im going to guess thats why.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
3/4 ton has the D44HD, but regardless all 4X4 F250s (in the years that we are concerned with in this discussion) used leaf springs, coils were only used in 2wd.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Having to pull the whole hub to get to the brakes does get a bit tedious. A 10.25 rear with an oil slinger would be perfect.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are ever going to use your truck to haul/tow heavy, I'd keep the Ford 10.25 (or Dana 70, I can't remember the crossover point) rear axle. That Dana 60 rear axle won't handle as much weight/abuse as the two axles that came in these IDI F250s/350's.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score