ATS 088/085 Turbo Kit Install??

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if on the 085/088 ATS kits if the GP controller (7.3 style, late 1987 6.9) needs to be relocated? Or can it stay as is? If it does need to be moved anyone have a picture of where it goes? Also on this kit the CDR tube that goes to the valve cover looks like it would suck tons of oil from the rockers because no baffle at all! I was thinking of making a baffle and either welding it on or braze it , good bad or crazy idea?

Black dawg

Reaction score
dont now if you have to relocate the controller, but you will be kicking yourself in the nuts later if you dont. I was able to move mine to the drivers side valve cover, without modifying the wiring. the baffle is a good idea, but it would probably easier to just use the banks style at the front of the engine.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 90, who ever installed the 088 kit, did not move the controller. Lets just say I am dreading it going out, because it is a bear to get to... So yes it would be wise to relocate.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my brothers truck we re-located it to the intake manifold on the front-driverside. Their is a flat spot where we made a bracket that the controller can mount to and we didn't have to do any moddifying of the wires. ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THe kit comes with a heat shield for the wires of teh GP controller and return line , it's supposed to stay put. Being fond of overkill as I am, I wrapped the lines in firesleeve just to play it safe, but last time I looked in there , they showed no signes of heat stressing inside teh firesleeve at all

A baffle would probably be a good idea, or the banks setup that bolts to the front of the pump cover as mentioned. I got ahold of a Turbo engine so I got the valve cover to go with it

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay how do the turbo pipes seal?? Mostly the cast iron cross over pipe has me concerned with its fit. The down pipe was in there very tight and after 10 mins running it came loose! Any ideas on how to get these to stay put and seal?

RLDSL,

You said you used the factory ATS valve cover? How did you connect that to the 088 air cleaner housing?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Yes MOVE the controller no matter what it takes LOL Every time I look at mine I start to cry thinking of the day it goes out--there is almost no room at all :puke:

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I install this system it really shows how much more effort banks put into the R&D of their non waste gated kit! The quality really shows in the machining (lack of) and the quality of the metal casting! I should never have sold the BANKS kit last year!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I install this system it really shows how much more effort banks put into the R&D of their non waste gated kit! The quality really shows in the machining (lack of) and the quality of the metal casting! I should never have sold the BANKS kit last year!
only downside of the non-wg turbos is the lack of low-end boost. you really have to build rpms in order for them to light off.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the down pipe tubing size is on these kits? From my down pipe to the chrome tip all was stolen from me today! I can't even get my hand up to the housing to measure it without pulling the turbo off. A little upset I only went to Fastenal down the street (gone for 40 mins) and all the exhaust was gone! We have been having a ton of metal theft here and this really upsets me!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Okay how do the turbo pipes seal?? Mostly the cast iron cross over pipe has me concerned with its fit. The down pipe was in there very tight and after 10 mins running it came loose! Any ideas on how to get these to stay put and seal?

RLDSL,

You said you used the factory ATS valve cover? How did you connect that to the 088 air cleaner housing?

No, I had a factory Ford turbo engine valve cover with the CDR coming out of it and I rigged a stub nipple to the ATS housing out if a butchered old CDR and connected teh 2 with a section of bent heater hose that I matched up by taking a piece of wire and bending to fit and then spending an hour in the back of teh parts store until I found an exact match to the bends.

Good luck getting teh downpipe to stay put. You may need to grind the end down a bit to get it to fit upo in there further

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay it is all done!! went to the local muffler shop and had them do the whole thing from the turbo back including going over the rear axle and it exits the same as stock did.

MBRP 4'' muffler new ($30.00 they had lots of them from customers who wanted straight pipe and these were just extra parts in the kit)

3'' to 4'' starting from the trans back over the axle 120.00

Hangers and brackets were 20.00

So for $170.00 I got the whole thing done and I only had to wait an hour in the waiting room! Not bad the other shop wanted $500.00 min and didn't know what a mandrel bender was??? So I walked away from them fast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726