ATS 088 to 093 upgrade

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negative, I'm a bbricknose, 1990. But from what I gather, it's very similar under the hood space wise.
Nah air to air fits just fine on the bricks. With A/C you have to trim a little and whatnot but it's nothing like the bulls.
Best bet from what I read is a 7.3 or 6.0 cooler since they are large but thinner than aftermarket logs like mine-- makes room for the condenser.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Nah air to air fits just fine on the bricks. With A/C you have to trim a little and whatnot but it's nothing like the bulls.
Best bet from what I read is a 7.3 or 6.0 cooler since they are large but thinner than aftermarket logs like mine-- makes room for the condenser.
Yeah I'm keeping my eye out for a 7.3 kit, but what about the turbo inlet pipe and air filter? Obviously you can't use the factory non-intercooled intake box, right?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what I did.

Cooler is 3" thick, still 1" to the stock grill. No reason to go with 3" piping BTW, if I did it again I'd do 2.5".

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score

This is what I did.

Cooler is 3" thick, still 1" to the stock grill. No reason to go with 3" piping BTW, if I did it again I'd do 2.5".
Interesting how the air filter is on the passenger side. Are all these pipes off of a specific vehicle? Or did you fab them up?

I see you have an ac compressor, but your condenser is missing. To be fair it looks like there's enough room for both it and the CAC.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is what I did.

I'm so jealous of all that real estate you have up front. Did you remove the vertical strap that connects the latch mechanism to the bottom of the core support?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting how the air filter is on the passenger side. Are all these pipes off of a specific vehicle? Or did you fab them up?

I see you have an ac compressor, but your condenser is missing. To be fair it looks like there's enough room for both it and the CAC.
Yeah I seem to be a rebel and put the BHAF on the passenger side. But I don't like how everyone else forces the hard turn across the engine bay for it, and since nothing else was really over there...It's a straight shot to the air filter, and mostly straight for the compressor outlet. With a nice fat mandrel radius into the engine. Custom(homemade) SS fab work, but hard to seal. I wouldn't do it again, lol. The intake pipe is actually a 3" stainless wide radius 90* that I welded onto a stainless 3"-5" cone. It was a PITA but gets the job done. Except it's so big I can't use the oil pressure port on the turbo. (all SS stick weld cause I can't TIG, yet)
As for the aluminum pipes, I just found a 3" cooler on ebay, and also found a 3" piping kit and figured it all out myself.

Yeah the truck came with A/C and I was single and didn't care to fix it up. I should have. But not with kiddos in car seats I really need to get it working again. I always meant to turn the compressor into onboard air but never did.

I'm so jealous of all that real estate you have up front. Did you remove the vertical strap that connects the latch mechanism to the bottom of the core support?
I sure did. I figured worst case I could fab something up but the hood closes fine, just a little more effort since the latch isn't as supported. I was actually really nervous at first because I'd just replaced the core support and didn't wanna have to mess with it anymore.

And the way I ran the CDR gas/oil isn't real good. But I couldn't find a 1" oil rated hose nearby so I made due and forgot about it. :D

Last edited: