ARP stud install and engine tear down

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One what? Push button or controller? I believe that I may have a controller or two laying around. the problem with used ones is that they may not last very long. I gave a couple of them to a guy several years back. He installed one and it lasted about a week. He wouldn't bother trying the other one. he sold the truck. That was ok since I was able to buy it a couple of months later as my first IDI.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One what? Push button or controller? I believe that I may have a controller or two laying around. the problem with used ones is that they may not last very long. I gave a couple of them to a guy several years back. He installed one and it lasted about a week. He wouldn't bother trying the other one. he sold the truck. That was ok since I was able to buy it a couple of months later as my first IDI.
A glow plug controller but if they dont last then I’ll go ahead and buy one new.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So to get back on topic, after cleaning, scraping and some elbow grease I got the heads and block surface good to go. I also ended up just buying a 7/16-14 tap to chase the threads which worked beautifully. Just be easy and take your time and use plenty of oil. It will save you money buying the tap as opposed to the expensive thread chaser.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what it all looked like cleaned up, gasket on with copper spray. Everything was beautiful until I got the head wedged in there which damaged the gasket and also broke glow plug controller. I ended up cutting out a small section of firewall which should give me the room I need. Will update tomorrow.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the gasket is damaged replace it, don’t forget to put your coolant passage inserts in the gasket or you’ll be pulling those heads off again in no time. I don’t like to clean threads that aren’t damaged with a tap, it can weaken the threads. The chaser is worth it imo even if you are just doing this job once, but if you don’t want to spend the money, just take an old headbolt and cut a vertical slot in it and use that to clean the threads, don’t use a tap.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul which inserts are you talking about? Also regarding the tap, I spoke with a guy here in Clearwater who has been working on PS and IDIs for a living and he said he prefers a tap over the chaser so that’s why I used the tap. He just said be careful to get it started properly. But I’m not knowledgeable enough to know which one is better but I do know the studs went in beautifully and snug.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your headgaskets should come with a small plastic bag with some rubber/steel inserts that go in each of the four corners to seal the cooling passages

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul which inserts are you talking about? Also regarding the tap, I spoke with a guy here in Clearwater who has been working on PS and IDIs for a living and he said he prefers a tap over the chaser so that’s why I used the tap. He just said be careful to get it started properly. But I’m not knowledgeable enough to know which one is better but I do know the studs went in beautifully and snug.

The cahser cleans the threads the tap can cut new threads I make chasers all the time at work because if I use a tap I will pull the studs out of the pump shell when I torque the covers to speech because I was removing tomuch material when I ran a tap through the hole also I noticed that the studs were easier to remove my guess is that not app taps are made to the same spec not to be confused with quality because the taps provided and purchased were top quality I also had some special ordered and made to specific application (to the tune of $900) and a 25$ chaser makes my job that much easier

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cahser cleans the threads the tap can cut new threads I make chasers all the time at work because if I use a tap I will pull the studs out of the pump shell when I torque the covers to speech because I was removing tomuch material when I ran a tap through the hole also I noticed that the studs were easier to remove my guess is that not app taps are made to the same spec not to be confused with quality because the taps provided and purchased were top quality I also had some special ordered and made to specific application (to the tune of $900) and a 25$ chaser makes my job that much easier
Well I sure hope I don’t have any issues, now I’m wishing I would have got a chase but that guy said he had done hundreds of sets of studs and never had an issue.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin purdy! Sorry to hear you couldn't get the head on but like @Thewespaul said without those inserts it would have been even worse in no time. That copper looks really cool in the middle of all that grime, haha.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good golly miss molly you don't mess around

Lol they are big pumps everyone used to just pound them together with no care for anything but it works I reverse engineered the process from a brand new one and wee wow get another 11k hours out of them details matter