ARP stud install and engine tear down

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what it looks like after shop vac and wipe down.

You must be registered for see images attach

Definitely rust on the cylinder walls.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks better, but yeah still some rust.
Any ring ridge at the top of the cylinders?

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks better, but yeah still some rust.
Any ring ridge at the top of the cylinders?
It doesnt feel like it. The only thing I feel on the walls is the rust but I just don’t know how they got that rusted. I just removed head bolts yesterday and the head today.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that’s bare metal in the cylinder walls and block surface, so doesn’t take long for it to flash rust. When I’m porting heads I’ll oil each port before I start the next one, otherwise it will start rusting before I’m even done with the head.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that’s bare metal in the cylinder walls and block surface, so doesn’t take long for it to flash rust. When I’m porting heads I’ll oil each port before I start the next one, otherwise it will start rusting before I’m even done with the head.
Ok, I was getting worried

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, is there anything else I should do or check once I have heads off? And what is the best way to clean the block surface where the heads sit?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Also, is there anything else I should do or check once I have heads off? And what is the best way to clean the block surface where the heads sit?
A wire wheel on a drill is a pretty good way.
When I’m porting heads I’ll oil each port before I start the next one, otherwise it will start rusting before I’m even done with the head.
I don't have that issue like you guys who live in Humidityville do. That doesn't happen to me here.;Poke

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I put clean rags or even paper towels over the lifter valley to keep as much of the crap out as possible. Then I'll either use air or a shop vac to clean out the cylinders when I'm done. Next, I'll pick up the rags/paper towels carefully to keep the crap on top of them. After removing these, I'll use another clean rag to wipe as much of the crap as I can get out of the lifter valley. After this is all done and the engine's running again, I'll change the oil after a few hundred miles. That will, hopefully, give the oil enough time to "wash" any remaining crap down into the oil pan to get caught in the filter. The last part may sound really bad, but remember that you'll clean out as much as you can by hand before you put things back together.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, so it’s been quite a while since I’ve posted here and that’s because it’s been quite a while since I worked on my truck. Way too many projects. Anyways, I’ve got both heads off now. The passenger side cylinders hardly had any rust but the drivers side is now worse from sitting. Is a cylinder honing tool too much for rust removal? Will it cause any issues?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think you should be ok as long as you don't get real carried away on the pistons. You could even try some steel wool by hand if it's just a light coating of rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online