ARP stud install and engine tear down

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that MUCH better than the silver crap that I find around here. They do the same job, but the silver stuff gets everywhere no matter what. The copper also seems to clean up easier.
I agree! Took me a decade to go through a $12 bottle and works on all high-heat fasteners to boot.

But to the OP, any anti-seize you already have works fine on injectors, no need to go buy copper.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily I remembered to check the thermostat lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do whatever the install instructions say, never have used them myself. Looks like you removed the a/c outer housing to make it easier to pull the head?

Last edited:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger that. Also, why is it that head studs are only supposed to be threaded in hand tight? Should I not give them a twist with the allen key?
I had that question too. I think the point is to make sure it has lots of meat of the threads, but to very much not bottom the stud out.

@IDIoit has had 2 or 3 blocks he built up crack on him and one thing he wondered was if the studs turned with the torque wrench and bottomed out under torque. I dont know anything beyond that but apparently its a very bad thing.

I don't think that was very much help, doh.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Roger that. Also, why is it that head studs are only supposed to be threaded in hand tight? Should I not give them a twist with the allen key?

I have to confess, I gave my studs a twist with the allen key, but ever so lightly. I wanted to make sure the studs were in all the way. 5 years later it's still working. :)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed lower studs per ARP directions and this happened,
its only happened once (crosses fingers)
now I install with red Loctite, all the way down by hand, then back it off 1/2 a turn.
then let it sit overnight before assembling.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do whatever the install instructions say, never have used them myself. Looks like you removed the a/c outer housing to make it easier to pull the head?
Thats correct. It sucks taking everything out but if you’re gonna do this job with the engine in the truck, plan on getting everything out of your way because you’re gonna need every inch of room.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats correct. It sucks taking everything out but if you’re gonna do this job with the engine in the truck, plan on getting everything out of your way because you’re gonna need every inch of room.
Just wondering if they only go in hand tight and a Allen wrench can screw them in, why couldn't you put the heads on then the studs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk