Any way to remove fan clutch without buying specialty tool(s)?

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like the title says..................need to remove fan clutch tomm to r&r radiator.
I dont have the special tool, just curious to see if anyone else has used any kind of common hand tools to remove the thing...............

gatorman21218

Reaction score
you dont need any special tools per se just a really big wrench. the fan nut is 1 7-8 i think. you can rent them at the auto stores or search online they are around 25 bucks. I can imagine a super crescent wrench would work as well. Some people have used an air chisel to loosen the nut however I dont recommend it because a) you can malform the nut and b) its got to be ******* the w/p bearing.

keep in mind its a left hand thread and keep the belts on tight to hold the pulley still

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fan does not need to be removed for the radiator to come out... It will allow for more working room but its not needed. Just remove the shroud and lay it back on the fan. Then all the hoses and thats it. Please don't go knocking the hell out of the nut with an air hammer or chiesel... That will ruin the water pump bearings...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
The fan does not need to be removed for the radiator to come out... It will allow for more working room but its not needed. Just remove the shroud and lay it back on the fan. Then all the hoses and thats it. Please don't go knocking the hell out of the nut with an air hammer or chiesel... That will ruin the water pump bearings...

shoot i didnt read the post carefully enough. That and my glasses are in the truck. I thought he was doing a water pump.

Yeah you dont really need to remove the fan. I didnt when I put in a new radiator.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it has to be removed,so that old outdated technology can go where it belongs-the scrap yard and replaced with an e-fan(s).:D

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Please don't go knocking the hell out of the nut with an air hammer or chiesel... That will ruin the water pump bearings...

The guy that replaced my radiator in Denver did that. Shoulda stayed around and monitored him while we was working :(

Oh well, the water pump bearing hasn't given out yet...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hammering on a bearing makes small dents in the races. That turns into a mess later on. Look at it this way... You always press a bearing on a shaft or housing using the outside bearing race... Not the center race. That too will ruin the outer race... Wow... I never thought I would say the word race so mant times talking about an idi anything.....:sly:angel::D

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
believe what you want but ive removed many fans with an air hammer and not one problem. Its unbelievable how hard the metal is that makes up those bearings and an air hammer wont harm it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
They make a really big pair of channel locks that works nice, not expensive 20 dollars or so IIRC, you will love them,

But the fan dont need to be removed, just the SHROUD,

DONT USE A AIR CHISEL!

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Harbor Freight and bought a huge wrench set they had that was on sale, had that size in it. Unfortunately, they don't sell the bigger wrenches individually.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I bought a huge crescent from Menards years ago (tool shop brand), it's a 24" handle and up to a 2 1/2" spread, it's what I always use because it's not that thick and only cost about $30 iirc

I bought it to change hitch balls originally lol

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hammering on a bearing makes small dents in the races. That turns into a mess later on. Look at it this way... You always press a bearing on a shaft or housing using the outside bearing race... Not the center race. That too will ruin the outer race... Wow... I never thought I would say the word race so mant times talking about an idi anything.....:sly:angel::D

You're not suppose to cut the nut off, just turn the nut enough to break it loose. I've done it that way for 15 years and never had a water pump suffer for it. At most it jacks up the nut on the fan clutch.

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not suppose to cut the nut off, just turn the nut enough to break it loose. I've done it that way for 15 years and never had a water pump suffer for it. At most it jacks up the nut on the fan clutch.

x2. Done it with a hand hammer for years.

BTW I think Lisle makes a fan clutch remover set that fits an air hammer and has many different sizes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger