7.3 idi factory turbo loud knock noise

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
i have a 1993 7.3 idi with factory turbo that is making a loud knock. I have replaced IP, injectors, and glow plugs. It makes a loud knock sound and occasionally will squeak.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Here is a link to a video i took of the truck. Any help on the issue would be great! Thanks!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that doesn't sound very good.

something connecting rod related? any guesses?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the valve covers, make sure that everything is OK. If there's nothing obvious, it's probably a connecting rod bearing. Pull the motor and fix it or get it fixed - As it hasn't thrown a rod yet, I'm sure it's fixable.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t bother with anything other than pulling that engine out. Sounds like it’s time for a rebuild. I wouldn’t run it any more, as it may scatter a connecting rod out the block, turning that engine into a 1K boat anchor.
You might also need a new crank and a con rod. That noise sounds like it’s doing some serious damage to the internals.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep sounds like a rod. I'd do a quick compression test and check out the top half then pull her out and check out the bottom. You might get away with just doing a lower rebuild but you need to do it quickly or it's gonna scatter on ya then your done for.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From your vid sound clip it sounds to me like a valve train issue. Pull the valve covers and look at the valves. Might be a lifter or a bent pushrod.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He already checked one side under the valve cover. I think he's going to check the other side today.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From your vid sound clip it sounds to me like a valve train issue. Pull the valve covers and look at the valves. Might be a lifter or a bent pushrod.
I agree. It doesn't really sound like a rod to me either. It could be, but I tend to doubt it. A spun rod bearing isn't very common on these engines. It would have to be run low on oil for quite a while for it to happen.

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
sorry about not getting back to you guys I forgot about the forum lol. Im going to pull the turbo and valve covers off today. Ill see if it is a broken or bent push rod. I decided not to run it anymore until I figure out what the problem is. To me it sounds more like a top end noise then a bottom end noise but I could be completely wrong.

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
Sorry about not getting back to you guys. I am going to pull the turbo and the valve covers today and pull each rod and check to make sure its good. If its not top end looks like I will be pulling the motor. If anyone has a 7.3 idi turbo motor laying around close to Nebraska that would be ideal. Thanks for all the input!

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
Checked my pushrods and found out i had a bent rod. Looks similar to a banana but not as curved. I couldnt take the last 2 out on the passenger side because of the ac box is in the way. Any idea on how to check these in the motor or should i pull the ac box?

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
I took a chunk of straight steel that would fit the lenth of the pushrods and they were straight for that area. I checked the rockers before i took them off and they didnt have play

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726