7.3 idi factory turbo loud knock noise

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
How far south are you thewespaul? It makes a loud squeak noise when under heavy throttle and it makes a loud knock noise at idle. The oil drain will not allow the oil to go down through the valley pan. It either floods back up the whole or it makes its way back up through the turbo. Im going to start looking for another motor. Every bolt on part to make the motor run has be replaced so if its a good good block and heads ive got everything else. Thanks guys, im afraid this motor is shot from what you all have said ☹️

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How far south are you thewespaul? It makes a loud squeak noise when under heavy throttle and it makes a loud knock noise at idle. The oil drain will not allow the oil to go down through the valley pan. It either floods back up the whole or it makes its way back up through the turbo. Im going to start looking for another motor. Every bolt on part to make the motor run has be replaced so if its a good good block and heads ive got everything else. Thanks guys, im afraid this motor is shot from what you all have said ☹️
I’ll pm you the details if you’re interested, but I’m in central Texas, you can take the complete engine minus turbo parts for $300. It’s still in the truck to hear run.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... no. I'm going to run it until it either sounds horrible, or next year. I have an (in good shape) '88 pullout from this truck that just needs head gaskets, and that will go in my tan '88 as I build it towards 300+ at the wheels. Once that's running good, I'll tear into this one. Still really thinking it's lifters/valve-train, though... just doesn't act like a rod knock - no change under varying load.
Are you referring to the engine in your 93 or Frankenfords engine?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit:
Wrong topic. Ignore this post.

Are you referring to the engine in your 93 or Frankenfords engine?
The engine in my '93 (this one, the one I paid $350 for including turbo).

The '88 that came out of this '93 truck seems like it was in great shape(really good low-end power, quick 'pick up' on cylinder with dead glow plug, no rod knocks); it just needs a head gasket after being overheated a year ago.

Last edited:

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
Man i would definitely have come down to get the motor from you if you were closer to nebraska thewespaul.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spun conrod bearing would be my guess. It could still be salvageable with a crank regrind.

But whatever's happening in that engine, don't run it any more unless you want to destroy the good parts that are still in there.

...my condolences...

1978FrankenFord

Reaction score
Im not sure how much a crank regrind would be but a new motor is what im looking for now. Thank you for your condolences

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to do a crank regrind on a 4-popper diesel a few years back. I don't have any of the numbers any more but I think it was around $300-$400. That was a rare engine in this part of the world though, so you might even be able to find a new crank. But if you don't have time or money to do a full rebuild, then yeah, time to start shopping for a used engine and hope for the best.