7.3 Idi build

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok so my 6.9 is using like a gallon or more of oil a week or so and im pretty sure it's gotta blown head gasket.so im lookin at pullin my 7.3 outta my other bullnose and dropping in.its not goin in just stock I was gonna tear it completly down and put a cam,shaved and ceramic coated Pistons,studs, all new gaskets, new injectors and then just goin back with the pump I have on my 6.9 which is the 7.3 pump maxed out.i have a hypermax turbo that is going on the truck and probly a 5 inch exhaust im not sure yet.i want the most power outta this thing I can with out gettin like a r&d 180 pump lol.im not sure if I want r&d's cam or Russ's cam. I kinda want alittle lope but that ain't gonna happen lol.im afraid if I get r&d's cam along with those shaved Pistons im gonna have like no compression. What are yalls opions

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would love to know specs.of both cams and do a side by side comparrison of them.

Sounds lkke a great build and uou should make good reliable power.

Good luck.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Im hopin for 300 but who knows it all depends on how much fuel I can shove in her.its not gonna have an intercooler for awhile seein as how my powerstoke is gonna take most of the money for now till I get it up in good shape lol.i figure I figure it'll be 240 on the stock pump if im lucky but for now that's fine.hopefully Russ will chime in on this about his cam cause honistly Id probley buy it over r&d cause I don't wanna go below 18:1 compression cause man she's gonna hate startin in the winter but it should leave room for some sweet boost. If yall got any suggestions on stuff to do im all ears.also im stayin with the t19 is the stock rated clutch gonna handle it pullin and stuff.its only a year old

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
His website only shows one which sucks but his bronco build is Runnin a stage 2

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your budget on this build? They are all great upgrades to perform, but also very costly.

I have my parts. Typ4 cam, head studs, rebuilt turbo engine heads, and various odds and ends, and I am already at about 1800 or so. I haven't decided if the bottom end is coming apart yet. I would love to, but thre is another 1500 at least.

Man, these things sure are spendy.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Honistly idk my budget lol kinda just what I have money for and plus I got lucky and dads gonna pay for a lot of it since im payin for my powerstoke so it's just kinda however much we drop in it lol I really don't wanna drop more then 2500 or so in it cause then I gotta turn back around and drop acouple grand on superduty axles and leaf springs you know all that stuff because we can't keep my back brakes set up and there brand new and my font brakes the caliper pins keep coming out and eating into my rims so dads tired of it and said we were puttin new axles under it lol.his dicesion not mine I was just gonna through my dana 60 I bought under it.i plan on getting this motor pulled out here ina couple weeks.ill make sure to post lots of pics lol.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the R&D cams don't drop a significant amount of dynamic compression. The only cam that did was the J2 can and Justin Anderson doesn't sell that. That was the cam Justin Wheeler sold.

Do you plan on upgrading from the Hypermax turbo at all? 180cc is a lot for that turbo IMO.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
In the future yes Id like to moose boost it but that'll be down the road I'll probably run the omega moose

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. I guess with a big DB2, you can always turn the fuel down until you do get a bigger turbo as well.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on where in the rpm band you want the power.

Lower rpm range, get a typ4 cam.

Higher in the rpm range, give Justin a call.