7.3 diesel

ropen699

Reaction score
hey. I am looking at a 92 ford diesel. It only has 94,275 miles on it, it has 355 gears, 4x4, with a banks side winder turbo on it, long bed, extended cab, I think it is an E40D auto trans. The body has no dents and is straight. What is a good price to offer for the truck. thanks

Attachments

• lukes pics 059.jpg
    lukes pics 059.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best idi forum on the web. First off you need to show pics and ask why the miles are so low. The truck is going to have an electronic speedometer so it will reach 3,00,000 miles but no higher. Or it may be 2,999,999 miles....:dunno With this low amount of miles really nothing should be worn out in the 4x4 drive but look closely at the front axles and joints. The front brakes will have been done probably twice but the rears will still be original. Auto or standard trans.. I'm betting its an auto called the E4OD. the 92 year was the time ford finally addressed the internal issues and made the upgrades needed. Ask if the trans has been repaired or serviced. Ask about sca added to the cooling system to prevent cavitation... About a fair price... Without more information its difficult to really make a number work...

ropen699

Reaction score
Welcome to the best idi forum on the web. First off you need to show pics and ask why the miles are so low. The truck is going to have an electronic speedometer so it will reach 3,00,000 miles but no higher. Or it may be 2,999,999 miles....:dunno With this low amount of miles really nothing should be worn out in the 4x4 drive but look closely at the front axles and joints. The front brakes will have been done probably twice but the rears will still be original. Auto or standard trans.. I'm betting its an auto called the E4OD. the 92 year was the time ford finally addressed the internal issues and made the upgrades needed. Ask if the trans has been repaired or serviced. Ask about sca added to the cooling system to prevent cavitation... About a fair price... Without more information its difficult to really make a number work...

It is an auto E40D transmission. An older gentleman drove it to work and back and that is why the miles are so low, I put it in 4x4 and it seemed to work fine. Other then the stuff I stated in the post I do not know any more about the truck. I did crawl under the truck and it was very clean. There was no mud under the truck bed so I am guessing it was not beet to the ground. I looked at the front axle it did not have any oil or caked on crap. The whole under neath of the truck was all dry and looked super clean. thanks

DragRag

Reaction score
Clean low mileage trucks are far and few between while the beaters are common. As a general rule of thumb, you will spend almost what you paid for a high mileage beater in maintenance and repairs when you get it to make it road worthy, some times even more. A well mainted low mileage truck will end up costing you less in the end, so I am always willing to pay more for it. A truck like that could be worth as little as $3000, or as much as $7500 or more if really nice. It is a big spread to work with, but without pics it is hard to say exactly.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Those short little runs to work and back are ******* diesels. Im sure a good long run with a good dose of a fuel conditioner/lube would do wonders for that truck.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice clean, low mileage truck. The only things I would really be considerate of is the front axle and the transmission as they can both be soft spots on these trucks.

I would suggest very close inspection of the ball joints and universal joints in the front end, along with tire wear. As the front springs sag on these trucks, it physically changes the camber on the front tires, so they will usually wear the insides of the tires. If one tire is worn more than another, most likely needs a fresh set of springs and maybe some ball joints. Not a terrible job, but definitely not as simple as changing a set of brake pads. If it were me, I'd put the truck in 4wd and turn the wheel to both locks and pull it forward and backward a couple of times as this will usually bring out some noises if the u-joints are worn.

As far as the E4OD, they can last a long time if you treat them right. Do some research on them, they can be very spendy to rebuild/repair. Hopefully it has a separate transmission cooler and the previous owner did some fluid changes along the way.

Pricing is a crap shoot as you won't have any really good comparisons with those low miles.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score

What's that about the odometer? The 92 should have the digital odometer. I'll read up to 399,999 but then just roll over back to 300,000 (from what I'm told, i'll know soon first hand in the van soon). If it says 94,275 that's how many miles it should really have unless someone was sneaky and changed out the cluster. The only thing about the low miles I would ask if it was a farm truck or something like that. Then there'd be lots of idle and rough terrain to tear up the suspension. But from the looks of it I doubt that.

I'd say $5,000+ is probably a fair price for the truck, unless it's REALLY nice inside in that case maybe $7,000.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice one.resale value pro's:
diesel in general of course,4wd,banks turbo,E40D (yes,they are worth more than zf5's guys.love 'em or hate 'em lol) super cab,under 100k (though not for long.) good paint,looks dent and rust free.i see a rear slider,and she appears to sport the XLT package.with the economy right now,and fuel prices,the 3.55's over the 4.10's sure are a resale bonus to most right now.
KBB is showing around 4 grand private party "very good" condition.id be looking for a deal,but i could see paying that,perhaps a tad more......based on just one pic that is.plus don't forget,she's got the aftermarket turbo all installed.that's worth something to ya right there.;)
nice truck.personally,id pay $4500 tops.

i was fortunate enough to score mine for around 3k with a rusted out stock bed (perfect for me,as i was ditching the thing anyway-it kept a lot of buyers away) with just 47k plus change on the odo verified by carfax.
looking back now though (besides all my mods) and what it required to bring back to safe,reliable condition to reflect it's true miles.the "average joe" would probably wright her off as a bad buy,money pit,perhaps outright lemon.to the handy man shade tree mechanic,it was a good buy.
age takes it toll.don't go by miles alone.there's a lot more to a truck besides a good trans and engine.my original purchase price doesn't reflect my true cost today,mods not even included.:D

I'd say $5,000+ is probably a fair price for the truck, unless it's REALLY nice inside in that case maybe $7,000.
2 grand more for a nice interior? it wouldn't cost that much to just replace the whole thing from a donor,and put a new carpet down + upgrades.:)
don't let them sales men get ya.;)

Last edited:

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its any help, I bought my truck on Ebay for $6,000. Its a one owner, F250 4x4 with 97,000 miles, zf5, two tone shiny paint, no rust dents or dings, and a matching topper. Truck drives great, I haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood) but will need to replace my leaf spring bushings soon.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You need to lookup what the bluebook and edmunds values are for the thing. Regardless of how much curb appeal someone may perceive a vehicle to have , it's only worth as much as the insurance company is going to cut you a check for if it gets totaled.