4 speed to ZF5 swap

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if I'm young at heart, physically old and mildly tedious? Are we looking at years maybe?
It took me 8 hours to swap ZF5s and rebuild the driveline brake on my service truck, when I ZF swapped my 86 I also swapped a 7.3 in, with performance parts, so that whole deal took me awhile…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys all happy with the zf5?
They aren’t my favorite shifting transmission, but they seem to be fine, I like them alright…
It’s been years since regularly driving a manual..worth it?
IMO yes. I like how the 4 speeds shift and how the 5 speeds cruise, only been around a few automatic IDI trucks, not a big fan, seems like they have their issues, but if the right truck came along and otherwise had an E4OD, I wouldn’t hesitate…

C6 seems horrible behind a diesel… worst of all worlds if you ask me…

I prefer to control all my own shifts, even driving in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic, I’d still probably take the manual. But I’m pretty young, my tune might change someday…

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parts kit I found has an unknown amount of miles..but the guy said it has zero shaft play and ran mint before being pulled. It’s been out for 2 months. Out of a 1997

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97 is nice, should be a ZF5 S5-47, probably mid ratio as well. 5.15:1 first I think instead of 4.14:1. Make sure it is from a diesel, 460 housing won't fit without drilling holes in it

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You guys all happy with the zf5?
I sure am.
All diesels with 4 sppeds have hydraulic clutches, except early 83 trucks
That must be one that I haven't come across yet. All the ones I've seen had hydraulic clutches. I know that some of them were 1983s. They just must have not been early enough.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure am.

That must be one that I haven't come across yet. All the ones I've seen had hydraulic clutches. I know that some of them were 1983s. They just must have not been early enough.
I’ve only seen one, it had an unsynchronized granny gear, rather than the synched 4:1 known in the later versions. Also had mechanical linkage for the clutch, like a gasser.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How reliable are the zf5?

I was chatting with my wife and figured every 7.3 I’ve owned has has a transmission rebuild..luckily they were all before I bought it. Now this current e4od is my first to fail. But I know it had issues about 13 years ago which is the first time I saw it. I bought it 8 years later.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
it had an unsynchronized granny gear, rather than the synched 4:1 known in the later versions. Also had mechanical linkage for the clutch, like a gasser.
:puke:
Just keep good fluid in it and don't let it overheat, otherwise they just go and go and go and go...
I would add to shift it like a truck, not a race car. My theory is that I don't force mine to shift, I just guide the shifter into the next gear.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey one more question..do I need to change out my starter? I read a few write ups and they said you have to get a manual starter. But I can’t seem to find one for a manual. I just replaced it with a gear reduction starter and hate to have to swap it out. But I will if needed

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That`s a new one. Never heard of auto and manual Starters.
Only one starter that goes both ways. :sly
I use Power Master 9050.

Goat

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect timing for when I checked!

I read about that on the ford truck forums.

One other question..did you guys tear down and rebuild your zf5 or just buy one that someone said was good and put it in?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I just make sure it goes through all the gears while spinning the input shaft by hand.
Transmission in my crew cab is out of a '88f350 with unknown history to me. Put several thousand miles on it with no issue. Just changed the fluid.