1989 F-250 7.3 Project

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like the china opens quicker. I s the other a motorcraft?
The other one is unknown and yes China is opening sooner and wider. @195. The China one is supposed to come through an OEM supplier to OE spec but you know that story. I do like the quality though overall. I have a couple of them from NAPA.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought was t-stat but it's not opening so much drastically more that it's the whole story for sure. What conditions are you under when the temp climbs away? Just idling or driving around? Driving hard?

Did you do the 6.9 head gasket cooling mod? Cause if so there's a major breakdown somewhere. Wes could drive around all he wanted in Texas and even tow without a fan attached.

If the fan roars to life on a cold start then the clutch is working. Mine never did and never locked up, ran it like that for 10+ years LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don’t 7.3 PSD thermostats look like this?
I was going off of the rubber gasket around the outside of the thermostat. I don't remember what the bottom of a PSD thermostat looks like.
Wes could drive around all he wanted in Texas and even tow without a fan attached.
Wes said that he'd put the fan back on before towing. I've been running without a fan since last January. The hottest that I saw was about 220*, but it was 105* out side, there was a good wind blowing and I got caught at a stop sign with the wind blowing from the back of my truck. The other time was in October when I got caught in stand still traffic on I35 in Oklahoma City for no obvious reason.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought was t-stat but it's not opening so much drastically more that it's the whole story for sure. What conditions are you under when the temp climbs away? Just idling or driving around? Driving hard?

Did you do the 6.9 head gasket cooling mod? Cause if so there's a major breakdown somewhere. Wes could drive around all he wanted in Texas and even tow without a fan attached.

If the fan roars to life on a cold start then the clutch is working. Mine never did and never locked up, ran it like that for 10+ years LOL
Idling it slowly climbs over like an hour without controlling its temp

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Nothing was wrong with the water pump but easy enough while I’m there.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going off of the rubber gasket around the outside of the thermostat. I don't remember what the bottom of a PSD thermostat looks like.

Wes said that he'd put the fan back on before towing. I've been running without a fan since last January. The hottest that I saw was about 220*, but it was 105* out side, there was a good wind blowing and I got caught at a stop sign with the wind blowing from the back of my truck. The other time was in October when I got caught in stand still traffic on I35 in Oklahoma City for no obvious reason.
You know, I agree with you about the outside. It doesn’t make sense that it’s there because on the IDI it’s not suppose to have it and the gasket makes the seal. That’s why there’s a machined lip in the block. I started off installing it for fun to see what would happen. Then I took it back apart and figured, why not just remove the rubber.

Attachments

• 905981A1-5E53-4338-9C44-849260BD2FB8.jpeg
    905981A1-5E53-4338-9C44-849260BD2FB8.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 1

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have a good one for you.
I bought the truck in 7/14. It may have been then or a year or so later, I bought a new Motorcraft Thermostat from the Ford dealer in Santa Cruz. I had it for a couple years, then one winter the Water Pump started leaking, so took it to a shop because I didn`t want to work out in the snowy cold.

I gave them the MC Thermostat to install.
Everything was working alright. Some time later the water temp would not heat up.
I pulled out the Thermostat, and in the center was this piece of rubber keeping it from closing. Pulled it out, and (now I don`t remember it I reinstalled it, or replaced it with another MC)

When I was filling the radiator back up, up floats the rest of the rubber piece.
So far it all works ok and I have heat, and this is probably 5 years later.

I don`t know what the rubber piece does or is for. As mentioned there is the gasket.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The gaskets on the left are for a 7.3 PSD. The IDI ones are Fel-Pro ES 70689. I can only assume that all three are the same part number since I can't see the others clearly. The top gasket in the set on the left gives it away. Unfortunately, you're not quite ready. I hope that I saved you some frustration and four letter words.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gaskets on the left are for a 7.3 PSD. The IDI ones are Fel-Pro ES 70689. I can only assume that all three are the same part number since I can't see the others clearly. The top gasket in the set on the left gives it away. Unfortunately, you're not quite ready. I hope that I saved you some frustration and four letter words.
Thanks and thanks Napa. I just dumped them out of the order box and took the pic without even looking.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the o rings are the same?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks and thanks Napa. I just dumped them out of the order box and took the pic without even looking.

When my OC puked oil into the coolant, I did a lot of reading and searching.
Decided to just replace the cooler with a new one. Lots of Dorman Chicom on the market, but found 2 remanufactured MC, one on Rock Auto, and one on Parts Geek.
price was a toss up.

When I get delivered, there are no Gaskets or "O" Rings.....even though they were in the picture. Contacted them..."OH, that is just a generic picture". Go find them some where else.

Finally found them in missoula, (SP) Mt. at Gomers wear house. Bought 5 sets.

There were a few OEM OC`s from Ford, but price was 3 or $400.

Too bad the PS Cooler is not the same length, think shorter....and the price is/was better.

Goat