1989 F-250 7.3 Project

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to start with the simplest thing first, checking the fan clutch. That is also new. I never heard it “kick on” and the oil in the coolant could potentially be because this was a cooler I rebuilt that had oil and coolant mix. Maybe residual.

Not confident in that though because when the engine is rev’d it “pushes” more coolant out once it is over 200f.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Right now shipping prices seemed to be jacked up, $50 of gaskets that can be mailed in an envelope rockauto is saying $25 shipping. Yea, no.
I agree. I have also made my own water pump gasket in the past. I just used the gasket material that you buy in a roll. It worked just fine.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people like working on vehicles some people like driving and some are a mix. I’m heavier on the enjoy working on them but like driving too. I’ve spent many (many is in understatement) working on IDIs and little time driving them. In the last 5 years I’ve driven an IDI approx 3 hours and worked on them 12 hours average a week and up to 40+ hours in some cases. I took two weeks vacation once to work on the truck.

And the last 3 months, 3 bricknose and no running vehicles. Honestly enjoying it. Rented a car once for $50. Carpooled the rest of the time to work.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...... you might have some type of condition that you need to see a doctor about...... maybe a phobia. I personally have to have a truck.....or two..... and some broncos.....we might have to start a support group.....wait....this forum IS a support group! Hi, my handle is Jesus Freak and I own a couple IDI ford's.....

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m seeing a noticeable temp to performance difference between the new and old thermostats based off the kitchen test.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Does the one on the right in your pictures, that says China and DFT actually fit? That sure looks like a 7.3 PSD thermostat to me.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the one on the right in your pictures, that says China and DFT actually fit? That sure looks like a 7.3 PSD thermostat to me.
Yep

Don’t 7.3 PSD thermostats look like this?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Do you have the jiggle ball in your Stat housing? I accidentally pressed the ball into the hole on my broken block

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the jiggle ball in your Stat housing? I accidentally pressed the ball into the hole on my broken block
Yes I have the jiggle ball in the stat housing. Was just going to clock the stat to 12 and let her rip.